Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: The Barn Find Build

Default Re: The Barn Find Build

Thanks, Jim. It wasn't clear to me whether the sticky-back Velcro was supposed to go on the tubes or the inside of the turtledeck. Either way, I don't like the idea of failing adhesive and sticky residue once it gets hot. I'll plan to remove the sticky part, poke some holes in the edge with a hot nail and use black zip ties.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I riveted the velcro down in a few places to hold it down. Easy to drill out alum rivets if ever needed. Surprisingly it worked good. Just another idea.

Like the zip and rivet fixes for the baggage velcro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    I riveted the velcro down in a few places to hold it down.
    You riveted to the frame tubes?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

No to aluminum.

On my KF 4, I added aluminum angle around the perimeter of the baggage area and perimeter of turtle deck, thinking it would give the velcro a nice flat surface to stick to. It didn't. The sun loosens it quickly. So I put rivets through the velcro into the aluminum angle to hold the velcro in place.

On my new build, I am doing something similar. I am not using the supplied turtle deck so I am cutting up the light weight angle that came with it, and bonding it to the lower triangle window frames and back around under the perimeter of the turtle where there is velcro needed. Then rivet the velcro to the aluminum angle. Hope that makes sense.

Makes more sense than drilling frame tubes! My employer doesn't trust sticky velcro so they bond it in place. Lasts 20+ years and 100k hours in use all over the globe. I always thought it was epoxy but I just looked it up. It's some form of Bostik urethane (I think) which can only be purchased by the gallon, so that's out.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Was this the Bostic material? comes in various sizes.

https://www.ampro-online.com/items/BOSA38921
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Try DAP Wildwood Contact Cement available at most home improvement stores and Wally World. This type of adhesive is used on laminate counter tops and upholstery.

Paint on both surfaces let it dry then put the parts together... get right on the first try, you may not get a second chance.

Buy Velcro without adhesive. The velcro adhesive is notorious for letting loose when it gets hot or getting gooey after long exposure to heat (sitting in the sun).

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Try DAP Wildwood Contact Cement.....
    Good call. Most people don't use contact cement correctly. It seems odd to let both sides dry completely and then stick things together, but you're correct - if they touch at all you better hope that is where you want the pieces to stay. The down side is that contact cement burns like rocket fuel, so for manufacturing of certified aircraft it's a no go.

The Bostik I looked up was 7132R, but that stuff that Taff linked to seems like it would work well.
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I did a little work on fabricating new door hinges a few days ago. I ordered new hinge stock from Kitfox, so I was starting with about 6-1/2" of material. As seems to be typical of the SkyStar drawings, there's no way to make the parts as depicted unless you have double the amount of material supplied, as the drawing makes no allowance for saw kerf. So, the hinges end up slightly narrower than the specified 1-1/2".

I was planning to borrow a friend's band saw, but with the kerf issue in mind I decided to try my luck by hand with a fresh hacksaw blade. I marked out the cuts to separate the reinforcing plates from the hinges, then made those cuts. I had to cut from both ends due to the spine of the hacksaw, then finish the center 1/2" of the cut with a bare blade, but it worked out pretty well; much straighter than I expected.

IMG_1579.jpg

Next I marked out the cuts to split up the material into four separate hinges...

IMG_1580.jpg

...and made those cuts.

IMG_1581.jpg

Then I had to go to work for a few days, so that's where it sits. Next step will be to clean up the material to the marks on the sanding disc, then figure out how to cut the steel hinge pin without ruining it...

With any luck, the next few days will produce some more progress.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings