Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: The Barn Find Build

Default Re: The Barn Find Build

We are all building model 5's and I too am using a combination of the the KF 5 manual and the new manual.

I ran into something that the new manual addressed, but the old manual didn't, and it bit me. There is no mention (or at least that I saw, but then again, I can read something 5 times and get 6 different meanings) of folding the wings in the KF 5 manual after rigging and checking the clearance between the #1 rib and the rear cary through spar. The new manual has this in it and specifies that the #1 rib might need trimming (before covering) so that the wings will fold back all the way. Well....I missed this and sure enough, the left wing hits about 2" shy of folding all the way back, and my wings are covered. I haven't figured out what I want to do on this screw up yet. But just a heads up for y'all.......since you're about to be at this stage.

Last edited by Jerrytex; 04-29-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Oh dear. Looks like I might have to reinstall the wings again to check this.

I'm pretty sure the ribs have been trimmed already, but I'll post a photo when I get back home and y'all can tell me that you think.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

OK Alex, I'll see your avionics package...

IMG_1562.jpg

...and raise you an upholstery set:

IMG_1561.jpg

The avionics will be a single 10" Dynon Skyview HDX, primary ADAHRS, remote magnetometer, GPS receiver, engine monitoring system, Mode S transponder, dual-band ADS-B receiver, comm radio with control head, pitch and roll servos with autopilot control head, intercom, heading/altitude/baro knob head and EFIS adapters for WiFi and camera input

The upholstery is about as close to my Oratex colors (silver and red) as I could come up with. I'm really happy with how they turned out; whoever does the upholstery work for Kitfox does a beautiful job.
    Last edited by Eric Page; 05-06-2021 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Correction
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Here are the photos of my butt ribs that I promised a week ago. They appear to have been trimmed, but I don't know if that's true, or if this is how they come from the factory. So, have these been trimmed for wing-folding clearance? As usual with my build, please ignore the first builder rough edges...

IMG_1563.jpg IMG_1564.jpg
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Show off! Those seat cushions look great. For planning purposes, what was the lead time on those?.

Not sure about the rib clearance thing. Did you attempt to swing the wings when you had them on? Seems like that would be the only way to know for sure.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    For planning purposes, what was the lead time on those?
    I ordered at the end of Sep or early Oct. Delivered early May. In other words, call them today.

Not sure about the rib clearance thing. Did you attempt to swing the wings when you had them on? Seems like that would be the only way to know for sure.
    No, that would have been the sensible thing to do. So I didn't.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

The trimming that I mentioned is actually on the #1 Rib on the wing. When you swing the wings back, the top capstrip might need to be trimmed since it might contact the carry through spar before the wing is all the way folded back. At least that is how it is on mine and had I caught it before covering, it would have been a lot easier to address.

Aaah, OK. I'll take another look when I get home tomorrow. I sure don't recall any trimming of the #1 rib, but we'll see...
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

There's no sign of any modification to my #1 ribs, so I guess I get to reinstall the wings and check folding clearance. Oh, joy!

Today I test fit the baggage sack and was pleased to see that it fit perfectly. I'm a bit confused by the sticky-backed Velcro that's attached to it in a few places, but I presume its purpose becomes obvious once the rest of the fuselage is complete.

IMG_1570.jpg

Next I installed the ELT. I was going to make a mounting plate and attach it to the area behind the passenger seat like so many others have done, but instead decided to use the frame just below and behind that location. Eight tubes come together there, so it should be a very strong (read: crash-proof) location. It also had the benefit of not needing a bracket made; I was able to attach the mounting tray by simply using Adel clamps. The only bracket I needed was for the antenna, and I was able to hack that from a scrap of angle in just a few minutes.

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

Since the antenna mounting bracket is electrically isolated by the Adel clamps and powder coat, I added a ground strap from the bracket to the welded tab that will support the baggage compartment floor. I'll remove powder coat from that tab and install the ring terminal with a star washer at final assembly. I'll be able to reach the ELT for service by removing the right side of the baggage sack and leaning over the back of the seat.

Yes, the ELT is upside down in those photos. It'll come out for covering.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Eric,
    The velcro with sticky tape on the back is to anchor those strips to the frame tubing in various places. However, due to the roundness of the tubes it does not work very well. After time in the sun, etc. it start moving around and loosening. I used nylon zip ties to hold it in place wherever possible.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS