Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: The Barn Find Build

Default Re: The Barn Find Build

Eric - If I'm understanding what you wrote correctly, the shim doesn't go in the bearing but locates the bearing/arm assembly. HTH, Darrel

OK, never mind. Boy, do I feel like a chump!

Darrel's response made me think this through again and mock up the assembly (embarrassingly, not for the first time). I see now that the nylon bearings fit over the spar stub that protrudes through the rivet boss on the end rib. The bearings do not ride directly on the shim. The shim fits perfectly between the control horn tube and the flaperon spar. So, all I need to do is remove some powder coat and trim the bearings to length, and everything will fit together perfectly.

Thanks, Darrel.

EDIT: Thanks also to Eddie for a message that has mysteriously disappeared, suggesting a dog-leg bend in the #1 hinge arm to correct the alignment problem.
    Last edited by Eric Page; 02-18-2022 at 07:38 PM.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

No problem Eric. I deleated after looking at the manual diagram and realized I had misunderstood the bushing part of your question. I forgot to leave the other part.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I received a nice PM the other day from @Navycposd enquiring about the lack of activity in my build. Thank you, whoever you are.

I'm a bit surprised to see that I haven't posted anything here in more than a year. Yikes! It's remarkable how easily life gets in the way and project work habits are lost. The good news is that I haven't been completely idle on the project. I haven't done any physical assembly of the airplane but I have been applying my electronics hobby to the effort -- something that I can do in hotel rooms on layovers. I've designed and built several modules that will go into the electrical system:

Pitch Trim Buffer. This module uses two half-bridge drivers to buffer the output from the Dynon SV-AP-PANEL (limited to 2A maximum) to a high-current drive for the elevator trim linear actuator motor. Size: 1.72" x 1.72", 0.77 oz.

IMG_2380.jpg

Rudder Trim Controller. This is two circuits on one board. The first is an 8.4V supply to power an RC rock crawler steering servo (torque of 40 kg-cm or 556 oz-in) and the second is a pulse width modulation generator that controls servo position in response to a potentiometer input. The servo will drive a small tab on the rudder to allow in-flight adjustable trim. Size: 1.14" x 2.15", 0.78 oz.

IMG_2381.jpg

LED Strip Dimmer. This is a very simple adjustable linear constant current driver to control an LED strip that will be mounted under the glare shield for night-time flood illumination of the instrument panel. Size: 1.72" x 1.72", 0.64 oz.

IMG_2382.jpg

Landing & Taxi Light Wig-Wag Controller. This one uses a microcontroller and some transistors to switch power to the landing and taxi lights. Two panel-mounted switches will send signals to this module to turn on taxi alone, taxi and landing, and make them steady on or flashing. There are two programmed flash patterns, selectable by a 3-pin jumper. Size: 1.72" x 1.72", 0.78 oz. This photo -- and the next -- show the boards attached to base plates that will allow neat mounting in the plane. All others will be mounted the same way.

IMG_2383.jpg

Brown-Out Booster. This is a DC-DC boost converter designed to carry the load of the Dynon EFIS and all components powered through its SkyView network, keeping them alive during engine cranking. When the charging system is active, this module stops switching and simply passes bus power through its inductor and flyback diode. Ignore markings on the board; it was designed for a slightly different purpose and the electrical system design has overtaken the board's silkscreen. Size: 2.56" x 3.90", 3.26 oz.

IMG_2384.jpg

Overvoltage Protection Module. This is a work in progress; I'm presently awaiting circuit boards for a new revision. It will sit between the 912iS Stator B and Regulator B and will monitor Battery Bus voltage. If bus voltage rises too high for too long, it will open three relays, isolating the 3-phase stator output from the regulator input. When it trips, it will flash a warning light on the panel and send an alarm signal to the EFIS. A panel-mounted push button allows pilot control of the charging system and module reset in case of a nuisance trip. Size: 2.28" x 3.83", 4.61 oz (weight of populated board and enclosure; with connectors and wiring, ~14 oz).

IMG_2385.jpg
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Eric,

Glad to hear you are making progress, albeit maybe invisible to the casual observer.

It has been said many times on this list that to get an airplane project done - make a point of doing something as often as you can. You'll get there!

Have to say that the LED glarestrip with the dimmer has got to be one of the most useful things a person could add to the panel. Really makes it easy to see everything on the panel. I think of all the crappy solutions that a suprising number of old certificated airplanes seem to have had (you know - the ones some of could afford to rent in the past.)

Thanks for sharing you progress on the electronics.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Some really cool stuff Eric. You never cease to amaze me with your depth of understanding and practical application of electronics!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Dang. Not even sure I understand half of what I just read. I'll be lucky if I don't hook a red wire to a black one.

Nicely done. Are you having that silkscreen work done by a supplier, or doing that yourself?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Lots of good stuff, Eric! I always enjoy your posts on the AeroElectric Connection forum too.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Some really cool stuff Eric. You never cease to amaze me with your depth of understanding and practical application of electronics!
    Thanks. Don't be too impressed; I make plenty of mistakes. That overvoltage board is about to be built for the third time. Fortunately, I enjoy the work and it's not a very expensive hobby (once you have the expensive tools, that is...).

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Are you having that silkscreen work done by a supplier, or doing that yourself?
    The boards are made by a commercial fabricator. All I do is upload the "Gerber" files (an industry-standard design file for circuit boards).

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Lots of good stuff, Eric! I always enjoy your posts on the AeroElectric Connection forum too.
    Thanks. I've made some embarrassing boo-boos on the AE-List forum. Fortunately, that's a good bunch of guys so no one points and laughs!
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Good Stuff Eric!

I may have to duplicate your LED dimmer circuit project .... Same purpose, how to light up the instruments for night flight....

Glad to see you are still making progress (now I need to get home so I can get started on my project!)

L