Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: The Barn Find Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: The Barn Find Build

I'm having a bit of analysis paralysis and could use some advice.

I'm looking at mounting the LP Aero Plastics bubble windows on the door frames. The guidance from Kitfox, in both the S5 and S7 manuals, shows the hinges mounted to the outside face of the butyrate (S5, left image) or polycarbonate (S7, right image) window material:

S5_Door_Mounting.jpg S7_Door_Mounting.JPG

The instructions from LP Aero Plastics, which are text only, say this:

[...] When alignment is satisfactory, using a china marker grease pencil, mark the door hinge location for notching of the window for hinge clearance. Notch the window with a small drum sander mounted in a rotary (Dremel) tool.
    That sounds like a terrifying procedure, so I'm wondering how others with the LP Aero bubble doors accomplished the hinge mounting. If you notched the window, how much clearance did you leave around the hinge plate? Did you later fill that gap with something like silicone?

EDIT: The instructions for installing the bubble door that are provided by Kitfox don't say anything about the hinge mounting, but one of the images appears to show the hinge plate on the outside of the window plastic.

Kitfox_Door_Image.jpg
    Last edited by Eric Page; 10-01-2021 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Add image from Kitfox bubble door instructions
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings