Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: The Barn Find Build

Default Re: The Barn Find Build

That, sir, is a VERY good point!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Hey Eric -

Just a heads up on the seat to get it somewhat smoothed up but remember that it will be all covered in fabric and the seat upholstery. So, it doesn't need to be perfect, just has to be good enough for you to live with it.

Also - When cutting out your seat boxes, make sure you leave plenty of "lip" for the lids to rest on - ask me how I know!
    I had to add some small blocks to aid in my lid stability when shut.

Glad to see your back in the build groove - keep your eye on the prize!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Thanks, Brett. It's far from perfect, and I'm OK with that. Like you said, it'll be covered.

I appreciate the reminder about leaving a lip for the cover. I'm pretty sure I would have screwed that up. Still might!
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

I hinged my lids in the back; makes them very stable.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I hinged my lids in the back; makes them very stable.
    I was wondering about that while working on them this morning. I presume since the hinge will be under 2” of foam cushion, I can just use a couple of small strap hinges from Home Depot and there’s no reason to fuss about making them flush.

I was also planning to drill a finger hole near the front edge of the lid to ease opening. Either that, or a half-moon shaped relief in the seat pan so I can grab the front edge of the lid.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Started on the under-seat storage bins today.

I found that a couple of edges on each one weren't cut straight at the factory, so I applied some tape as a cutting guide and Dremeled them straight. Followed that with some block sanding at the edges to deburr and smooth. Disappointed at how unsteady my hands have become with age -- not looking forward to trimming door and windshield plastic.

One rear corner on each bin had a step in the lip that will attach under the seat pan...

IMG_2646.jpg

...so I heated up that corner with a heat gun, and when it got a bit floppy, pressed it down against the table top to straighten it out.

IMG_2647.jpg

That removed most of the unevenness, so a little bit of sanding took care of the remaining high spots. I was careful not to sand too close to the inside edge where it folds down into the bin, since that will be visible after installation.

Finally, I eased the sharp corners, cleaned them up (use water for this step; this plastic is dissolved by acetone!) and set them aside. Next was figuring out where on the seat pan to cut the lid openings, and where to attach the bins. I put the seat pan into the airframe and quickly discovered that I should have done so before painting it. The reliefs in the pan for the center console aren't cut wide enough and the ones at the top for the fuselage upright tubes need some more relief too, so I'll have to do some more work there.

Anyway, there appears to be plenty of room underneath the seat for the bins so I'm going to prioritize a good location for the lid then worry about attaching the bin to match the lid opening.

Did everyone use Hysol to attach the bins to the seat pan? I can't seem to find any instructions for this sub-kit in my pile of airplane paperwork.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Started on the under-seat storage bins today.

I found that a couple of edges on each one weren't cut straight at the factory, so I applied some tape as a cutting guide and Dremeled them straight. Followed that with some block sanding at the edges to deburr and smooth. Disappointed at how unsteady my hands have become with age -- not looking forward to trimming door and windshield plastic.

One rear corner on each bin had a step in the lip that will attach under the seat pan...

IMG_2646.jpg

...so I heated up that corner with a heat gun, and when it got a bit floppy, pressed it down against the table top to straighten it out.

IMG_2647.jpg

That removed most of the unevenness, so a little bit of sanding took care of the remaining high spots. I was careful not to sand too close to the inside edge where it folds down into the bin, since that will be visible after installation.

Finally, I eased the sharp corners, cleaned them up (use water for this step; this plastic is dissolved by acetone!) and set them aside. Next was figuring out where on the seat pan to cut the lid openings, and where to attach the bins. I put the seat pan into the airframe and quickly discovered that I should have done so before painting it. The reliefs in the pan for the center console aren't cut wide enough and the ones at the top for the fuselage upright tubes need some more relief too, so I'll have to do some more work there.

Anyway, there appears to be plenty of room underneath the seat for the bins so I'm going to prioritize a good location for the lid then worry about attaching the bin to match the lid opening.

Did everyone use Hysol to attach the bins to the seat pan? I can't seem to find any instructions for this sub-kit in my pile of airplane paperwork.
    Eric,
    Mine are attached with Hysol and rivets.

It's not that your hands aren't steady, it's that manual labor like pretty much everything on the plane requires practice to get good at it. If you trimmed 50 of them you'd be a rock star at it.
    I once watched a woman on the 737 final assembly line spread adhesive. You know that opening window by each pilot, where it has that fuzzy stuff on the forward lip of the window frame? She would use what looked like your basic caulking gun to lay an absolutely perfect layer of adhesive without the need to even touch it afterwards or clean up anything. Zero squeeze out. I would probably have half the stuff in my hair and on my clothes.

And I'm glad you're back on the build too. I need some competition and Geek has obviously pulled way out front.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    ........And I'm glad you're back on the build too. I need some competition and Geek has obviously pulled way out front.
    I didn't get to go play in Alaska so not my fault Alex!!!!

Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Mine are attached with Hysol and rivets.
    Aaah! Rivets, of course. I was trying to figure out how I was going to get them to stay tight against the seat while the Hysol cures. They don't sit flat without some persuasion.

I once watched a woman [...] She would [...] lay an absolutely perfect layer of adhesive without the need to even touch it afterwards or clean up anything.
    Yeah, watching someone who has mastered their craft is a joyous thing. I'd like to be that good at something. Anything...

And I'm glad you're back on the build too. I need some competition and Geek has obviously pulled way out front.
    Me too. I still struggle to get myself out there, but I'm inching up on it being a habit again. For sure, we're not catching Geek. He'll be flying in to drink our beer and give advice before much longer!

Didn't get anything else done today. A friend with a PA-12 Super Cruiser asked me to fly with him so he could log a couple of approaches for currency. How could I refuse? It's not easy being an instrument safety pilot from the back seat of a Cub, but we didn't hit anything. We even landed in his hay field at the end. Fun stuff!
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    .........For sure, we're not catching Geek. He'll be flying in to drink our beer and give advice before much longer!
    How about I keep unwanted advice to myself and just drink your beer? I think it's a conspiracy and you both have sent letters to the FAA asking them to hold short on my N number so I can't register or schedule the DAR. C'mon guys - isn't 5 months enough time to wait?
    Glad your back on it Eric..... Will be fun to join up on you two and hang out. Thought it might happen when Alex was going to start his motor (yeah I still want to be there Alex!!!) but I guess he's going to be spending more time on my side of the hill so by that time I'll be mighty thirsty and besides Alex probably will want to drink my beer.

Geek
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG