Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model 3

Default Model 3

I have found a model 3 for sale near me. Asking price is 26000 with the 80hp Rotax. Around 600 hours on the motor and airframe 3 blade wood prop as well. Any input would be helpful on what to look for and if it would be good buy. 90 percent of my flying is done by myself without a passenger and usually stay pretty local.

Default Re: Model 3

In this day and age of Kitfox prices going through the roof, if the plane is in nice shape, the price isn't real high. Seeing more and more Kitfox 4s going into the $40,000 plus range. Look at overall condition, possible damage history, Look close at the rib tails to make sure they are sound and no rot in them. Some Kitfox 3s came with aluminum tanks and they were prone to leaking from cracking. With the time on the plane, probably this one has fiberglass tanks, but something to look at as well. Some people want to hang everything plus the kitchen sink on their airplane, and then think it's better and worth more. Weight is the killer of aircraft performance, so less is better often times. JImChuk

Default Re: Model 3

A Model III will fit your mission well. With the undercamber airfoil, you'll be limited to a cruise speed of 80 mph or less.

The earliest 912's had an ignition system in an aluminum box. These are obsolete and you might want to avoid that. The wooden prop is probably a GSC. The blades are officially life limited to 5 years, though I've seen lots flying beyond that. The good news is new blades are still available.

Check the longerons near the gear attach points and the seat truss for any bent or collapsed tubes. If the plane was ever stored outside, corrosion near the tail can be a big issue. Look for any signs of fuel leakage. The original fiberglass tanks were not ethanol proof. Many people replace the old tanks with new. It requires serious wing surgery to replace, but it's very doable.

Other than that, check for obsolete avionics. It's not a problem to upgrade them, but adds to your cost if you need them.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med