Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: N195CL's Revamp

Default N195CL's Revamp

Hi everyone I have been lurking for a bit and posted one or two questions but I feel like it's probably time to start an actual build/rebuild/revamp thread.

I am a PP who has no experience building until now, but have a strong background in welding, light machining and heavy fabrication. I have been waffling on doing a build from the ground up for about two years now and just decided to pull the trigger on a project plane. I'm currently not living at my actual house because of my better half's job situation so I am setup in a temporary shop without many of my tools (welder, lathe, etc). Which was a big part of why I decided an already flying project would be better at this point.

That's how I came across N195CL, which was originally built by another forum member who unfortunately passed away last year.

It's a Classic IV 1200 with ~1100TTAF and a fresh ~140hr Jab 2200A.

IMG_3487.jpgIMG_3488.jpg

It looks like it had a rough landing in 2012 (guessing based on replacement of grove gear without reason given in the logbook). That resulted in some tweaked tubing that I will be straightening and then replacing. I have some material onhand to add gusset reinforcements to both sides as well.

IMG_3502.jpg

Beyond that, there were some longstanding fuel leaks that hadn't been addressed so I have some new fuel tanks on order from KF, as well as a new Al header tank. I pulled some of the fabric off the wing yesterday from immediately behind the tank which had cracking. Then stripped the coatings and performed a pull test. Even with my terrible test rig (not applying even clamping pressure) it passed. Given that this is the worst of the fabric on the airframe I am not planning on a full recover, just the front of the fuselage and wings where the tanks will be going. The rest of the fabric looks great, no cracks, still very pliable.

IMG_3505.jpg

My ultimate goals are to get it all put back together by spring time (tanks are 3-4 months backordered) and to use it as a fun time builder. I plan to eventually operate out of a local strip and some hay fields so i will likely be adding some 22in tires, and upgrading the tailwheel. The panel is going to be replaced as well since I need ADSB compliance to operate out of some of the locations near me.

In any case I wanted to get this thread started as an introduction and place to post some pictures. I'm sure I will be asking plenty of questions along the way! Right now I have some wing rotisseries in the works and just got a bunch of goodies from Aircraft Spruce to start repairing the fuselage after the metal work is done.

IMG_3489.jpgIMG_3504.jpgIMG_3507.jpgIMG_3508.jpg

Default Re: N195CL's Revamp

Looks like a nice project for you. I have about 550 hrs behind an early model solid lifter Jabiru (#903) in my Avid Flyer MK IV, and it has been good to me. What is the serial # of yours? When I rebuilt the plane, I went with an MGL e1 engine monitor, and that takes care of all the engine gauges in one 3 1/8" instrument. That frees up lots of room on the panel. A grand rapids EIS would do the same. Have fun, and keep us posted on the progress. JImChuk

Thank you sir, I'm looking forward to the project! Thought fabric is new to me I think it will be satisfying to get it done. I'm hoping next weekend I can get the plane to my shop and get the welding done, otherwise I may have to bring a small welder here (power is limited in this shop).

The Jab is Serial No 22A 3814 Model No 2200A

The plane had a GRT EIS in it, a model 3 which when I called GRT is apparently an older unit. Depending on the budget I am toying with the idea of a full pannel from GRT to handle everything but that will all come down to budget and how deep I go on other things.

Now there is something you can get your teeth into! Lol. Great project. Will be nice to see her flying once more.

All the best!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Maybe you have seen these pictures, I've posted them before, but here are a couple of modifications you could do while you have things apart that will make it stronger and give some more room as well. This is the fuselage for my Kitfox 4 before I sandblasted and painted it. I widened the fuselage 4" using the 1/2" tubing that goes around the door. Makes for way more room. The doors are later bent to fit the new wider openings. Have to take the windows out of them, and bottom panel if that's what you have, cause the doors wont bend otherwise. Make new windows and bottom panel later to fit the new shape. JImChuk

PS, here is my somewhat oldfashoned panel. Have room for a tablet on the right side
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for the comments and insight! Avidflyer I have been reading your posts here and on backcountrypilot for some time now haha. This past weekend I was not able to get much/anything done because we were out of town. But this morning I cleaned up the fuselage some more, pulled the brake masters and tubing in preparation of removing the floor, and did cut out my templates for bracing. My plan is to do it as pictured, filling in some of the outer webbing with perforated 4130 tinwork. I'm hoping I can knock that out this weekend as well as some other small welding projects I need to do here and there assuming I can get up to my home shop with the plane.

In pulling the wing tanks... are there any tricks/tips to getting the filler out of the front seam without damaging the spar? I plan to try the wire/floss/string method to remove the silicon bond on the rear and front but didn't know about the filler itself which seems much harder.

IMG_3520.jpg

Well, after some more eventful travel than I had anticipated....some minor breakdowns.... I made it to my place/home shop for the weekend and was able to get some work done on the Kitfox.

IMG_3537.jpg

I started by straightening out the bent tubing over the landing gear attach point. Then sectioning out the crimped/dented area. I forgot to take pictures during the initial repair but the process was to section in a new piece of 1/2 4130, which had each end sleeved over with another piece of tubing, fully welded at all ends and roset welded in place. Of course I ran out of straight gas for the TIG so everything was MIG this weekend. You can see here the piece of tubing that I removed and then the gusset material added. This was .042 4130 sheet with 1.5in holes. I didn't add it as extensively as some others have done, but I may add some more before finishing up, havent decided yet.

IMG_3539.jpgIMG_3542.jpg

Next to repair was the spar attach points. When I picked up the plane the gentlemen who were at the hanger mentioned the previous owner had some issues with one side. By the looks of it the tops and bottom of the tube were pretty warn and wallowed out. Beyond the point at which I was comfortable putting off a repair. The spars themself will also need some repairs as it looks like they are oblong too. Those I will cut some sleeves for on the lathe and attach/reinforce when I have the wing tanks out. For this part on the fuselage though I decided the easiest way to perform a repair would be some faux "lineboring"

IMG_3548.jpg

It's important to mention that only the top and bottom of my holes were damaged, the center section maintained concentricity. So I started by cleaning up the inside of the tubing with a die grinder, then proceeding to build up some material with the welder.

IMG_3549.jpg

Since the middle of my tube was still concentric and within spec I used a long end mill with a short length of cut to remove the recently added material. This effectively used the center of the tube as an index. Lots of lube for this! And proper speeds and feeds are a must... that being said I still managed to break an endmill. Also since they arent meant for blind punches like this there were frequent stops to clear chips.

IMG_3550.jpg

Once I had the bore cleaned I hand filed the top surface, being mindful to keep the shoulder square and not go past the original length. Once the top was back in spec I repeated the operation for the bottom.

IMG_3552.jpg

When it was all said and done I threw a dial indicator on it and I have less than 4 thou of lateral play in any direction. This matches the other side that did not need repair, nor did the rear mounting points.

I hit the bare metal with some primer for the trip home but still have to debur and clean everything up before it gets finish painted. I was waiting on some MEK resistant (butyl) gloves to come this week so hopefully I can get that done soon.

And to finish off the post, I'll include a picture of the shop helper.

IMG_3553.jpg

Cool project. I'm still hung up on how much of a "hard landing" it would take to bend the Grove gear.

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Cool project. I'm still hung up on how much of a "hard landing" it would take to bend the Grove gear.

I agree, and given the contact point of the bend in the tubing it very well could have been from something else. There unfortunately was no reason given for the gear replacement, and no mention of the damage to the fuselage in the logs either. So I am effectively guessing.

Well not too much to report in terms of progress here. I have been playing with fabric, I had a few small repairs to make and it has been very satisfying. The instant gratification of shrinking fabric is terrific. I could do without the chemicals.... but I am taking the proper precautions in regards to respirator, butyl gloves etc...

It looks like my header tank shipped from KF this week so hopefully I see that soon. In the meantime I have been working to remove the old wing tanks... not fun. I have tried floss, piano wire, synthetic strings. A lot of silicone was used to attach the original tanks and I have resorted to cutting them out to make it more manageable.

Once the tanks are out I will put the wings up in storage and concentrate on finishing the fuselage repairs and recovering. This week I am working to re-do the floorboards and get it ready for paint.

IMG_3567.jpg

If anyone has suggestions on the tank removal process I am open to try anything!