Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: N195CL's Revamp

Default Re: N195CL's Revamp

We got a bit more done this weekend. The fabric is finish cut, glued, and tightened. I got all my finish tapes on last night and hit it with the first coat of polybrush this am. I have a few areas I want to go back and clean up a bit, but it should be sitting back on it's gear in a few days and then it's on to repairing the cowling and rebuilding the firewall.

IMG_3652.jpg

Well, I got back at it this morning but only had about 30 minutes to clean up a bit of tape on the fuselage before throwing the gear back on and test fitting the cowling. The cowling is going to be a project within itself, between existing failing/failed repairs and overall tweaks I think this is going to take some time. My plan of attack (open to any suggestions here) is to get everything aligned where I want it first. Then go about repairing the attach points (not all of them were even used, I think I can pickup atleast one more on each side). Once that is handled I will finish by taking the tin work off and rebuilding in glass as well as repairing the rest of the crack and flaws.

Still feels good to throw the cowling on though, almost looks like a plane again... sort of

IMG_3670.jpgIMG_3669.jpgIMG_3668.jpgIMG_3667.jpg

A little bit more progress but not much unfortunately.

I got the header tank mounted and all the fittings installed, much nicer than the poly tank that came out that's for sure! I also threw the pedals back in and did some initial planning on repairs/revisions for the cowling. I messed up the camloc series when I ordered last time so I am awaiting on another order from AC Spruce before I can start really making some headway on the fiberglass work. I plan to reinforce all the mounting points and repair all the obvious cracks. plus replace all that tin work with glass.

IMG_3682.jpgIMG_3681.jpg

Well it's been a month and honestly I haven't done too much. Well I've done a lot of hunting so no complaints on that end!

I have been going through and replacing and inspecting linkage parts as well as working on the lower cowling. I got the mount points reinforced and have been able to use the forward most lower mount point now. Previously that mount was zip tied to the fuselage.

Next up is redoing the oil cooler extrusion and providing options for additional future cooling if needed here. The cowling isn't aligned as nicely as I personally would like it, spinner is about 1/4 off center and the entire cowling is rotated about 3/4in in relation to the fuselage, but I dont think it's worth chasing too much further. Likely if it drives me crazy ill redo it entirely down the road. Firewall is going to be rebuilt too to take up the gaps present.

IMG_3778.jpgIMG_3777.jpgIMG_3776.jpgIMG_3775.jpg

I get you on the cowl alignment. If anything nags at you now, it will later on as well. Agreed on the firewall.

Keep on plugging away, now back to work...
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    I get you on the cowl alignment. If anything nags at you now, it will later on as well. Agreed on the firewall.

Keep on plugging away, now back to work...
    That tends to be how I am, I am sure it will bug me if I don't fix it!

Great Thread. Enjoyed the read so far

Well New Year and finally have some progress again. The cold weather with long cure times and temporary heat is slowing me down... but excuses aside I have basically just been distracted with other projects.

I did manage to get the oil cooler bump out redone, and I am certain I did it the slowest least efficient way possible. All in I have about 8 hours in redoing the cowling and probably need to spend another 2 finishing and sanding before it will be ready for paint.

This frightening image is what I used as my initial form, I should have created a mold and then cast a part but I didn't.

IMG_3783.jpgIMG_3781.jpg

From there it was lots of sanding and re-glassing to get the shape I wanted. Then filled and smoothed the small voids with Micro Ballons and epoxy. I also redid the air dam at the back and molded a bump out for the exhaust.

IMG_3975.jpgIMG_3985.jpgIMG_3987.jpg

For anywhere I added glass I took the base material down to remove all paint, filler, etc until I got to the original glass like in the case of the cracked upper cowling below.

IMG_3988.jpg

Then I layered in glass on both sides of the original material to sandwich it all together.

IMG_3989.jpg

Like I said I know there are more effecient and faster ways to get this done, but it worked for me.

I also got in the stainless I need to redo the firewall, and will be working on that next. The metal fab is way more in my wheelhouse so I am looking forward to knocking that project out. Still waiting on my fuel tanks from KF but once those get here the wing work will be next. If I get the firewall done first I will probably move on to brakes and tires just for the gratification factor of seeing that through.

Cleaned up a few things today but need to run to my place to grab an engine hoist this weekend so I can pull the motor to redo the firewall.

In the picture below you can see where I taped cardboard to the original firewall in order to take up the gap between it and the cowling. The black sharpie mark indicates where the existing firewall ends.

IMG_3993.jpg

Ordered some hardware from AC spruce to get properly sized washers and bolts used when I put the motor mount back on.

I got the motor pulled this am and plan to start working on the firewall this weekend. Definitely missing my heated shop since it was 4 below this am when I was out there.

IMG_4024.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

I'll be using the old tin as a template and seeing if I can clean up the design a bit. Hopefully more updates to come shortly

IMG_4028.jpg