Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: N195CL's Revamp

Default Re: N195CL's Revamp

Braided Kevlar fishing line like Spider Wire worked for me. It won't scratch the spars.

I think it was 50 lb test.

Thank you Jerry, the braided 50lb was on point! I still managed to break about a dozen pieces to get the last wing half out but it was far better than the other methods I had been using. Once the second wing is stripped of its tank ill be putting them in storage until the new tanks come in and concentrating on finishing up the fabric repairs for the fuselage.

IMG_3581.jpgIMG_3582.jpg

Now that is some serious work. Making headway - the only way - pure grit and determination wins over finesse.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Haha yup! Just working my way through it. No progress to report really other than that my header tank came from KF and I got the one wing put up away awaiting the new wing tanks...The spars are on wooden blocks on one end so the trailing edge floats, and I threw a strap around for good measure. The other end has the last rib sitting on a towel also being mindful to keep weight off the trailing edge.

Probably not the most conventional storage but I think it will suffice for the couple of months until my wing tanks show up.

IMG_3587.jpg

Well not much to report, hunting season is rapidly approaching and our weekends have been pretty well booked up. I'm working on pulling the other wing tank still and in parallel have been prepping the fuselage front for paint and fabric. As a part of that I cut out some new floor pans... now to get them installed....I had to bend the old ones for removal and can't seem to find an easy way to get these in yet, any suggestions or tricks would be appreciated!

IMG_3614.jpg

I got the second wing tank out this morning. And without cutting it into multiple pieces nonetheless! You can see in the picture the silicone contact patch is MUCH less for this tank so it was a breeze compared to the other side. The nice thing is that now I can store this wing with the other and start concentrating on knocking out the fabric for the fuselage front.
    IMG_3624.jpg

And I apologize but I dont know how to rotate these pictures to correct their orientation...

A little more progress. I was have the fuselage suspended and off the gear so that I could clean and coat the tubing where I performed weld repairs. I was then able to get the floorboards in and this morning mounted the primary flight controls. I'm replacing all the hardware as I go but it was nice to install some parts in the plane rather than removing them for a change. On to fabric for the fuselage next, then likely some paint before putting the gear back on and deciding where to go from there.

IMG_3636.jpgIMG_3634.jpgIMG_3633.jpgIMG_3639.jpg

Are your rudder pedals suspended below the instrument panel or do you just have them stowed there so you don't have to disconnect cables?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Its the latter, I have then stowed up there for transport and work. I didnt want to completely disassemble them until I was ready to replace all the hardware and re-instal.

A bit more progress this AM before work. I got my new hardware from AC Spruce and rebuilt the control sticks, and then went on to begin covering the fuselage after applying final torque to all the through floor bolts.

IMG_3642.jpgIMG_3643.jpg

I haven't finish cut the edges, everything is just roughed in with Polytak to hit my 2in overlap minimums. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to get out there and finish cut the edges, complete gluing it all in place and while I'm at it finish up the patches I need to make for a few spots in the front of the fuselage. I'm still not set on a color scheme so I think I will get this finished out with polybrush and then wait for paint until the wing tanks come in so I can spray everything all at once.