Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: One Lucky Fox

Default Re: One Lucky Fox

I've moved on from the flaperon Angle of Incidence - I'll come back to it.

Next question: flap push-pull tube adjustment. No matter how hard I try, I can not get the angle between the flap tube control horn and the bottom of the plane to 11.5 degrees - there just aren't enough threads on the push-pull tube screws. Best I can do is 13.5 degrees (see picture 1 and 2, below). But, even if I could, I'd never be able to get the flap handle into the #3, full flap detent. The mixer tube hits the bottom of the cargo area (see picture 3 and 4).

What am I doing wrong?

IMG_8676.jpg

IMG_8677.jpg

IMG_8678.jpg

IMG_8679.jpg
    Building N137DF
    STi, Rotax 915is, Airmaster

Look at figure D-2 on page 35 of the Final Assembly section of the Build Manual. The reference for the "Flap Bellcrank" to measure the 11.5 degrees shows that as the part of the assembly that connects the "flap" portion to the "aileron" portion.

Your picture shows you measuring the portion of the mixer that attaches to the flap handle pushrod.

I hope I both assessed your pictures correctly and explained my interpretation correctly.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph. I’m a knucklehead some days. Everything else measures perpendicular from the bottom of the floor tubes, and I completely missed that part of the diagram.

In case anyone wants to use the mixer bell crank, instead of the a flaperon bell crank, the angle is 27.1º from vertical, 117.1º from the bottom of the floor tubes. See photos:

C804D633-289E-4BDB-A73C-4DB513D31306.jpg

5F869AAA-9429-44CC-874D-24BB8AA16808.jpg
    Building N137DF

No problem, glad I could help.

You are making good progress.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Quote Originally Posted by yocum137 View Post
    I stopped by Homedale the Friday before everyone headed to Oshkosh and told Brandon and Heather about my control stick torque block solution - sleeve the AN3 bolt in a 4130 round 0.065" thick tube. Brandon's eyes went glassy and said, "Ooooooh, I like that!"

Here's the tubing I bought: https://www.mcmaster.com/89955K539/

Below is what it looks like. The proper torque is easy to achieve and the nylon block doesn't deform and pinch, i.e., no sanding nylon! Super easy solution!

Attachment 28512
    This is great, but over in the UK I could not find any steel tubing to that size. So had a little think and thought what about carbon fibre! so I found a 400mm length to the correct o/d and I/d for £ 10. Very happy thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    This is great, but over in the UK I could not find any steel tubing to that size. So had a little think and thought what about carbon fibre! so I found a 400mm length to the correct o/d and I/d for £ 10. Very happy thanks
    👍🏻👍🏻

Make sure add your source to your log so the next UK builder can find it easily. 😉
    Building N137DF

Progress has been slow but steady. Just about everything is in the fuse and I'm finally about to start covering with Oratex.

Overzealous and over estimating how close I was to being done, I bought my Oratex last year right before Oshkosh. As some of you know, Oratex claims their adhesive has a strict shelf life of 90 days from manufacture. Well, it's been 14 months with the adhesive on the shelf and I decided to do a little experiment to see how "strict" their recommendation is. The executive summary is that if it's stored at 72F in a pitch black room it's still effective after all this time. I'm going to reach out to Better Aircraft Fabric to verify my findings.

Their test procedure is straight forward and described in the manual. 15x2.5cm strip attached to a representative sample of material (capstrip) pulled straight off at 90 degrees with a static force of no less than 3.9 lbs (3lbs 14.4oz), apply more force until it starts to separate, ease back off to 3.9lbs and it must hold. I nearly tripled the static force - 12lbs 6oz - and it held.

Here's the photo evidence:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KAUCZQtaxseNhQcG7
    Building N137DF

Well, first wing is covered with Oratex. "Mistakes were made" but just cosmetics - nothing structural. I don't have any experience with Polyfiber, but I do like the fact that once Oratex is on, it's done.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SDhpqy8sSFG9zc6e8
    Building N137DF

Oh, another thing... if anyone has a Rotax 915is they'd like to sell me, let me know! Debra at Kitfox says Rotax isn't accepting orders for the 915 until mid-Feb 2023. No word on what's causing the issue, but it is making me consider the EDGE Performance option...
    Building N137DF

It is looking good! That's a nice bright color.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw