Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: One Lucky Fox

Default Re: One Lucky Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    Your build is coming along very nice.
    Thank you, sir! I’m curious, did you take the horizontal stab off to cover? I haven’t tightened any nuts more than finger tight and I’m curious if I should.

Thanks!
    Dan

Yes it will have to come off to cover and other reasons. I know how you feel, it would be nice to leave on. I'm hoping mine is going back on for good in a few days!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

It’s looking good. I’d recommend picking up a #12 reamer (.1890), as many of the bolts will not slide in after reaming at .1875. Harlan gave me that tip. I’m about 10 weeks into my build, and having a blast so far.
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex

Quote Originally Posted by Mark123 View Post
    It’s looking good. I’d recommend picking up a #12 reamer (.1890), as many of the bolts will not slide in after reaming at .1875. Harlan gave me that tip. I’m about 10 weeks into my build, and having a blast so far.
    Huh. So far I haven't had to ream any larger than 0.1875, but I suspect you're farther along than I am. *shrug*

Control sticks are assembled and I just installed them, but dang! the control in pitch is really tight after I torqued to the recommended 20-25 in-lbs (2 ft-lbs). Is it ok to back this off to get free movement?

The block deformed so much it was pinching the column. I backed off 4 turns before it freed up enough that I was satisfied, and I've still got 1 thread showing past the nut so it meets the minimum, so sayeth AC 43.13 Chapter 7, page 11, section 7.63(f) (After the nut has been tightened, makesure the bolt or stud has at least one threadshowing past the nut.) but is this good enough?

IMG_7069.jpg

I had to sand material off the bearing block for a proper fit. This would be preferable to loosening the AN bolt/nut torque. There should be no pinching whatsoever of the torque tube when torqued to the recommended torque. A bit at a time off the block (then test) so you don't overdue it . Bruce N199CL

Had a pretty good day. Elevator is hooked up (nuts aren't tightened, of course):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KXArXUM5bfs1xJT59

And a few notes:

Pro tip #1: for reaming and cleaning out the various threaded holes that get gummed up with powder coat, use cutting fluid. Totally worth it. Cuts like butter.
    Pro tip #2: you will bung up the roll pin for the flap handle. It's a soft metal, not hardened, and pressing/tapping it in will deform it. 1/16" x 3/16" hardened roll pins can be had on Amazon, 500 for $18 or 30 for $10 (in 2021).
    Pro tip #3: a round 8" by 5/16" b astard file is your best friend when fitting the wood tail ribs and floor boards around the welds.

Quote Originally Posted by yocum137 View Post
    Pro tip #2: you will bung up the roll pin for the flap handle. It's a soft metal, not hardened, and pressing/tapping it in will deform it. 1/16" x 3/16" hardened roll pins can be had on Amazon, 500 for $18 or 30 for $10 (in 2021).
    * 1/16"x3/8"

Hmm... The roll pin I received was a “standard” roll pin (or “spring pin”)... nothing soft about it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Same with mine.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS