Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hangar door help

Default Hangar door help

So I am working on my shop & I have reworked it to fit a hangar door in. Pole barn 2x8 3ply post & looking to set in a 34' x 16' hanger door. ( I know a little snug but it's all I have to work with)

Looking at Higher Power for self supporting but I also have a fair bit of knowledge on welding & fab so I was curious does anyone have plans for sale or were I could get any info on building my own & insulating it. I have some extra time this winter & I could have my guys help me when we are slow with our business to give them some hours.

Thanks
    Last edited by SNOW JW; 07-22-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Default Re: Hangar door help

I built a new hangar last year and installed a 40x12 Higher Power door and I love it. It works fantastic and no extra structure built into the hangar to support it. It bolts together so it could be replicated.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

You might consider contacting Merrill Stulken at Supreme Hydraulic Doors and get a quote. He is based out of western Washington, which is a lot closer to you. I upgraded my 48' x 11' hangar door last spring and had Merrill do it. It is a similar design to Higher Power that is also free standing and doesn't need any additional structure from the hangar. I like his design for pivoting the door better, is is so simple and doesn't have any rollers and cams like the Higher Power. To save money Merrill let me remove the old door, run the electrical cable and install my choice of metal siding. I am really happy with my new door. I got the remote opener option too and love it.

Hangar Door.jpg
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I think Jonas Marcinko did a video on this topic recently. On youtube I believe

Not really what you are looking for I'm guessing, but this is the cheaper route that I took. Rolling doors on tracks, two going each way. The ends of the tracks are supported by a cable going over a post, and they work quite well. Also, I don't have a post out there holding the track up. Doors are 10' each, and I thing the track only goes out 9', but the wheels are held back on the end of the door as well. My hangar is at my place, well off the road, so not many people see it close up. At a regular airfield, optics matter more. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    You might consider contacting Merrill Stulken at Supreme Hydraulic Doors and get a quote. He is based out of western Washington, which is a lot closer to you. I upgraded my 48' x 11' hangar door last spring and had Merrill do it. It is a similar design to Higher Power that is also free standing and doesn't need any additional structure from the hangar. I like his design for pivoting the door better, is is so simple and doesn't have any rollers and cams like the Higher Power. To save money Merrill let me remove the old door, run the electrical cable and install my choice of metal siding. I am really happy with my new door. I got the remote opener option too and love it.

Hangar Door.jpg
    Thanks I'll check him out. Thanks for the replies

SNOWJW.....Do you happen to be a Justin?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    SNOWJW.....Do you happen to be a Justin?
    I am Dustin you still riding sleds?

I thought I recognized your username. Yes! Still running our boondockers turbos! Can you still get turbos?

Are you planning on building or do you already have a plane? Sounds like you are getting setup for a hangar!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!