Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First Post

Default First Post

Hello everyone, glad to be here.

I'm beginning the process of researching a future Kitfox purchase. I've been out of aviation for about 20 years now.... it goes by fast. I started flying as a sophomore in high school, and somehow managed to end up doing freelance instruction, photography, and I had my own banner tow business for a while. But when it came down to it, I never wanted to do airlines, and in the mid-1990s, a job in aviation was hard to come by. I never made any money as a commercial pilot for 3 years. So I went back to school to become a teacher. I sold my 1969 150 TD, and basically walked away. Family, other hobbies, but mostly time and money has kept me away from flying. I did get my BFR last summer, but have not flown since. I thought I'd just rent once a month or so, and never look into buying my own airplane again. But the only kind of flying I want to do is in my own airplane! Especially since looking into the Kitfoxes.

In the 1990s, owning a Kitfox or kit plane of any kind was sort of seen as a bit of a fringe element. I always liked the idea though. Now, it seems with the new tech, materials, and other things, that owning a kit plane really is the way to go if you are looking for something with two seats. And my wife hasn't said no, so...

I'm unofficially looking for a III or a IV. I'm not really ready to buy yet, so I'm researching and figuring out the plan. I would not mind building my own 51%+, but I think I'd rather buy a built, stock plane that I can get to know while I get the training to get back in the cockpit. So I have a few questions:

1. Would you buy a ground-looped plane, or something with frame damage? Why or why not?
    2. How realistic is it to NOT hangar the plane, but to keep it in a covered trailer? What type of tow vehicle are people needing if you do this?
    3. Can a Mk III be modified in the same way you see the V and up?
    4. What about a Mk I or II? Why, or why not, buy one and mod it up?
    5. What pitfalls must I look at when looking for a Kitfox?
    6. I think my research has narrowed it down to Rotax or Yamaha engines: What kind of upgrade to an engine can a II or III airframe take?

My end result would be a moderately well equipped "bush" plane. Moderate STOL mods. Moderate power mods. I don't need an ultimate bush plane, but I would like to go in and out of the established grass strips, and at higher altitudes. Cruise performance is not a problem, the 150 I had might have cruised at 100 on a good day.

Take a look at a few of my flickr albums if you want to know more about my interests, where I'm from, and how I might use my future Kitfox.

Default Re: First Post

Welcome brother! Sell you Defender and buy a Kitfox! You won't regret it!! I look at my Kitfox as a flying Defender.
    When I did the same I narrowed things down to a Rotax powered 5, 6 or 7. I wanted a TD so the 5 can't cost effectively be changed to that and had to be a TD at purchase. The 6 and 7 can be swapped out and I found a 6 that I converted from a trike to a taildragger. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with a Yamaha or any other powered airplane but I believe in commonality. Most are Rotax powered so you and your Kitfox buddies have common spares (just like your 300Tdi truck) and you can hook each other up in a time of need.
    Storing outside by you would require a water tight cover and I'm sure others here can address that better than I can.
    Model 1-3 are a different animal than the 4-7. The 4 is noticeably tighter fitting in the cockpit than the 5-7. Try to mooch a ride in one and if you want to road trip to Boise I'll get a buddy to take you up in his model 7.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Default Re: First Post

Good info about the differentiation between the models. I'm wavering on the future of the Defender, but it would go a long way for a Kitfox. I'll have to let that idea cook a bit, maybe even over the winter. There are a few bucket list things I want to do in it, then maybe it will have run it's course in my life. A year ago, or more, I would have never wanted to sell it. Crush it and push it over a cliff? Yes.

So let's say I'm looking for a IV or better. But the IV is probably where my $$$$ runs out. I wouldn't mind a "stock" set up because I know I can modify in the future, and I think that would be fun anyway. Any other thoughts on my questions are appreciated.