Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horizontal and Elevator Fairings

Default Re: Horizontal and Elevator Fairings

Thanks for all the help on my previous post. I have a new question.

I am fitting the horizontal to the fuselage to check it prior to bolting into place. I bought the "STI" aerodynamic strut option for the horizontal stab. I proceeded per the manual to attach the struts to the horizontal using the rod end fittings, spacer, etc. I found it easier to fit the rod end fitting to the horizontal first and the "tab" end to the fuselage after that. The tab ends of the struts bind against the mounting flanges on the fuselage and look like I need to grind off some of the strut mounting tab - maybe 1/8 inch max. Has anyone else had this problem and needed to tweak the tabs ends? Please see attached picture - the blue portion is just tape that I put on the struts to protect the powder coating.

My second question is the position of the rod end fitting on the other end of the strut. Both sides have the rod end screwed in almost as far as they will go. Is this normal? I realize that I will have to do an adjustment on them later to be sure that the horizontal is sitting properly.

Thanks fort the help

Fred

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_57c6.jpg

[QUOTE=Doggitz;93287]Thanks for all the help on my previous post. I have a new question.

I am fitting the horizontal to the fuselage to check it prior to bolting into place. I bought the "STI" aerodynamic strut option for the horizontal stab. I proceeded per the manual to attach the struts to the horizontal using the rod end fittings, spacer, etc. I found it easier to fit the rod end fitting to the horizontal first and the "tab" end to the fuselage after that. The tab ends of the struts bind against the mounting flanges on the fuselage and look like I need to grind off some of the strut mounting tab - maybe 1/8 inch max.UOTE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTTEiXAZk2A Watch this video around 11 minute mark regarding adjusting the horizontal struts.
    Instagram- N985MK

Kitfox S7 STI - Building...Hope to be flying Fall 2023!

MattKALIN

Thanks for the video link. That is the exact problem that I am having. I will follow your lead and take it down a bit

-Fred