Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up your build shop

Default Re: Setting up your build shop

I echo the above. I have used a 4" angle grinder alot too.

I got the instructions sent to me a few months ahead of my delivery. I spent spare time in evenings reading build threads and making notes in the instruction pages along the way. Places where some misinterpreted the instructions (and I likely would have), places where some departed from the instructions, etc. Was the most helpful thing I did in preparing.

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Congratulations and enjoy the journey.

I would suggest watching the EAA "Hints for Homebuilders" videos. Also, suggest you search the EAA website for the "Chapter 1000 worktables". The plans result in 2 - 2x5 foot very stable worktables, I used some of the left over materials and the same build technique to build an additional 2 tables 2x3 foot.

Ralph
    Hey Ralph, I have searched but have not been able to find the information on those worktables. Do you happen to have the link for that? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Congratulations!

I bought what I didn't have from the cheapy tool mart and specialty tools at Aircraft Spruce - 37deg. flare tool and a real good pop rivet squeezer. Have sufficient ventilation and lung protection when grinding/painting. I agree with Ralph on the EAA "Hints for Homebuilders" videos and worktables. Dremel tools are essential.

I used this hand belt sander a lot.

Enjoy your build!
    I'm assuming cheapy tool mart is Harbor something??
    Sounds like the Dremel tools are a must!! Thanks for the reply!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrybark View Post
    With plenty of time before the build starts, consider going back five, six, or more years in the forum topics and start reading interesting sounding threads. There is a wealth of knowledge that will help your build. Create a document in your favorite word processor and collect a list of hyper-links to the threads you want to revisit in the future. Copy the address in your browser's address bar and paste it to your document to create the link. There will be a way to edit the name of the link to something more useful than the typical "https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/newrep...3018&noquote=1" You'll end up grouping threads into categories. The initial reading will teach you a lot about building a Kitfox and your document will be a big help when you want to refresh a vague memory of a tip.

One of my favorite resources was Tropica Tuba's website. He documented his build and included photos of every step along the way. http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Project/Kitfox.htm

More to your topic, the first thing that comes to mind is buy a Drill Doctor and become a sharp bit snob! And buy a dozen each of US made #30 and #40 drill bits.
    Thanks for the advice Carl!! Great idea about creating a list of hyper-links.

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Definitely want a dremel with cutoff wheels and sanding drums.
    Thanks Ken, the dremel seems to be the most suggested tool!! And thanks again for the demo ride! It's officially your fault now!!

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    I completely agree with what Carl said except I dont have any experience with the drill doctor.
    You mentioned several times that you want floats and you are near saltwater. I expect you will land on saltwater too. You need to make corrosion prevention your #1 priority!!! I say this after just cleaning up corrosion on my jury struts. And they came powder coated! I expect that corrosion is coming from within maybe due to poor prep before powder coating. But at my job we use Corban 23 on aft spars and wheel wells, on top of primer/paint. This is a good external coating. I haven't used it on my plane and not sure where all I would but pretty sure I would make use of it if I were doing it again.
    Ken
    OK, I'll research the Corban 23. Thanks for the info.

I take complete blame!
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Just do a google search for "EAA Chapter 1000 work table" and it should come up. At least it did when I looked.

Rick

Hey Ralph, I have searched but have not been able to find the information on those worktables. Do you happen to have the link for that?
    Just do a google search for "EAA Chapter 1000 work table" and it should come up. At least it did when I looked.
    Sorry I'm late with an answer, but our forum friends got you covered. The Google search should do it. If not I think I still have the file.

Ralph

I found this bench at Home D. and quickly measured it. It was being sold for about $100. I built two, far cheaper and I have never really worked with wood at all. It wasn't difficult.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoULxwTaGAU
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X