Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up your build shop

Default Setting up your build shop

Well, I just put a deposit down on a series 7SS!! Excited is a complete understatement!! The current delivery time for the kit is approx one year. That's fine with me as this will be my first build and I want to use the time to take some weekend workshops from EAA and get my garage and work area ready for the build. I also joined my local EAA chapter as I know that will be an invaluable source of information for me. I am a fairly seasoned pilot, ATP, 2500 hours, CFIIME, but I have never owned or built a kit airplane. I have a three car garage and no need to store any of our vehicles inside, so I have plenty of space. I could use any suggestions on how to set up shop and what type of tools and shop equipment I should invest in to make the build go as smoothly and easily as possible. I also don't work full time so I'm going to be able to put as much time as I can handle into this project. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!!

Default Re: Setting up your build shop

Congratulations and enjoy the journey.

I would suggest watching the EAA "Hints for Homebuilders" videos. Also, suggest you search the EAA website for the "Chapter 1000 worktables". The plans result in 2 - 2x5 foot very stable worktables, I used some of the left over materials and the same build technique to build an additional 2 tables 2x3 foot.

Ralph

Thank you, I will check out those work tables. Def. will watch those videos too.

What does you shop have for electricity?

Something to consider would be compressor needs. Besides painting, compressor requirements are not terribly high. I mostly use mine for a right angle drill.

Thankfully LED lighting these days don't require much current. I am a firm believer in having enough light fixtures in a shop to not be able to cast a shadow. Couple that with walls painted a lighter color to reflect the light and you will be able to see things you might not have seen in a low lighting environment.

Have fun with your project!
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

A nicely set up shop is great but is certainly not necessary. My "shop" was a small two-car garage with an old drill press and a radial arm power saw that could mount a sanding disc. My wing jigs were two sawhorses glued to the concrete floor. My worktable was two more sawhorses with an old door for a table top. I don't believe my lack of nice facilities and equipment slowed me down at all. I'm saying this to encourage anyone who doesn't want to or can't afford to equip with nice stuff. The Kitfox can be built perfectly with minimum hand and power tools and strong desire to do careful work and pay attention to details.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman2tm View Post
    What does you shop have for electricity?

Something to consider would be compressor needs. Besides painting, compressor requirements are not terribly high. I mostly use mine for a right angle drill.

Thankfully LED lighting these days don't require much current. I am a firm believer in having enough light fixtures in a shop to not be able to cast a shadow. Couple that with walls painted a lighter color to reflect the light and you will be able to see things you might not have seen in a low lighting environment.

Have fun with your project!
    I'm definitely getting a compressor. I have LED lights in my ceiling right now, but could use some more, for sure. The garage is an attached garage so no issues with electricity. Tools are probably going to be my main concern. I have a basic tool supply, but nothing specialized for metal work or anything else specific. I did order the builders tool set that was offered with the kit, but I'm sure I'm going to need quite a bit more!

Definitely want a dremel with cutoff wheels and sanding drums.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Congratulations!

I bought what I didn't have from the cheapy tool mart and specialty tools at Aircraft Spruce - 37deg. flare tool and a real good pop rivet squeezer. Have sufficient ventilation and lung protection when grinding/painting. I agree with Ralph on the EAA "Hints for Homebuilders" videos and worktables. Dremel tools are essential.

I used this hand belt sander a lot.

Enjoy your build!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

With plenty of time before the build starts, consider going back five, six, or more years in the forum topics and start reading interesting sounding threads. There is a wealth of knowledge that will help your build. Create a document in your favorite word processor and collect a list of hyper-links to the threads you want to revisit in the future. Copy the address in your browser's address bar and paste it to your document to create the link. There will be a way to edit the name of the link to something more useful than the typical "https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/newrep...3018&noquote=1" You'll end up grouping threads into categories. The initial reading will teach you a lot about building a Kitfox and your document will be a big help when you want to refresh a vague memory of a tip.

One of my favorite resources was Tropica Tuba's website. He documented his build and included photos of every step along the way. http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Project/Kitfox.htm

More to your topic, the first thing that comes to mind is buy a Drill Doctor and become a sharp bit snob! And buy a dozen each of US made #30 and #40 drill bits.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I completely agree with what Carl said except I dont have any experience with the drill doctor.
    You mentioned several times that you want floats and you are near saltwater. I expect you will land on saltwater too. You need to make corrosion prevention your #1 priority!!! I say this after just cleaning up corrosion on my jury struts. And they came powder coated! I expect that corrosion is coming from within maybe due to poor prep before powder coating. But at my job we use Corban 23 on aft spars and wheel wells, on top of primer/paint. This is a good external coating. I haven't used it on my plane and not sure where all I would but pretty sure I would make use of it if I were doing it again.
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind