Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flying in IMC

Default Flying in IMC

Just curios, does anyone fly their KitFox in IMC? I'm not talking hardcore IMC, but the occasional broken to overcast cloud layer, fog, low visibility, etc. Just weather conditions that aren't too convective in nature but may prevent you from departing or landing at a destination without having to file. Also, how water tight are the planes? Do you avoid flying in light to moderate rain? Is she a leaker?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Default Re: Flying in IMC

The latest model is much improved in wetter conditions. Doors are recessed into the door frames with decent weather stripping.

A 3 piece cowl is used now where the boot cowl remains attached to the fuselage thus making the boot cowl to windshield seal and boot cowl to firewall sealing much more reliable. Spending a little extra time during construction of the leading edge wing root to windshield fairings pays increased dividends also. Some of our skilled builders on this site have done phenomenal work with regards to the windshield to wing root fairings.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    The latest model is much improved in wetter conditions. Doors are recessed into the door frames with decent weather stripping.

A 3 piece cowl is used now where the boot cowl remains attached to the fuselage thus making the boot cowl to windshield seal and boot cowl to firewall sealing much more reliable. Spending a little extra time during construction of the leading edge wing root to windshield fairings pays increased dividends also. Some of our skilled builders on this site have done phenomenal work with regards to the windshield to wing root fairings.
    Thanks for the info! Would you possibly have any links to these builders where they have done this? I'm a first time builder and would like to see what I can do to prevent water from getting inside, wether I'm flying through rain or its parked outdoors somewhere. I also plan on putting her on floats at some point, so keeping her as water tight as possible would be a top priority of mine!! Thanks again!!

I’ll give you a link to get you started. Use the search bar at the upper right of every page to access our site archives that go all the way back to 2008 when this site was founded. Type in search box “ wing root fairings or wing root cuffs” to see more threads on fairings. Our archives are full of useful information on almost any topic you can think of relating to the Kitfox. Also peruse the Member’s Build Logs forum section for more great build ideas. Enjoy your quest for knowledge.

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/9532-Wing-Root-Cuffs/page3?highlight=Le

Most owners purchase a water resistant cockpit cover incase it rains while the Kitfox is parked outside. Kitfox Aircraft sells very nice Ustom made Kitfox covers.
    3DF508DC-974B-46D6-BE3E-EA9E135A6120.jpg
    138D900E-C378-406B-9F4E-D17FD8FC7F7C.jpg
    3B0C0443-4B42-4AA5-9A74-F5BF2D5BE71A.jpg

Truthfully, either of the glass panel manufacturers that sponsor this site (Dynon or MGL) would be very comforting to have in the panel if inadvertent flight into IMC conditions happened. Garmin and GRT are a couple others that make great glass panels with amazing capabilities. Synthetic vision is pretty standard on all of them now.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear