Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nose gear kitfox

Default Nose gear kitfox

Good evening, does anyone have a nose wheel configured kitfox that they have landed on Grass or dirt? nothing rough. How does it handle ? Is the nose gear heavy duty enough for grass and dirt? Just not sure I want to go with tailwheel all of my hours our in nose gear aircraft.

Default Re: Nose gear kitfox

Mike,

Our S7 is a trigear that we have been flying for a while. We operate the plane in and out of grass strips frequently with absolutely no problems. I have not used it on a dirt strip so can't say much on that but I suspect the prop on a trigear might be subject to at least some effects from plain old loose dirt. What constitutes a rough or smooth grass field is somewhat subject to judgment; however, I am not talking about bouncing off boulders on a sandbar.

I have flown other trigear aircraft on grass and I believe the kitfox is better at handling it than the others - the low touchdown and lift off speed helps a lot. Good soft field technique helps too - keeping the weight off the nosewheel as much as possible. I have operated out of one local grass strip which most people consider to be moderately rough which the plane handles fine.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Nothing wrong with a trike landing on dirt. I did it a bunch before I converted my plane to conventional gear. Proper technique and a good flyover inspection and you should be good.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Trying to decide which way I want to go. I have flown various Pipers and Cessnas on dirt and grass. The nose gear on the kitfox just looks light. Sounds like you have had no issues. Thanks for the info.

Go for it.
    A couple off blacktop runway photos to show it is not just a hard surface wimp. Looking forward to some grass strip encounters. I flew my model 4 with a less robust nose gear for 13 years, into several Idaho backcountry strips with no issues.
    Nose gear very robust but I’m always careful. I can hold the nose off until about 20 mph in the landing roll out. Rough surfaces I use a soft field takeoff technique. Get it rolling gradually to about 10-15 mph, full back stick, a quick jab of power and the nose comes up and gives me way more prop clearance than a taildragger can get during a takeoff run. Full power and let if fly off when it’s ready. Happens very quickly. BY the way, the main gear look small in the photos because I’m running 5” rims compared to most others running 6” rims.

B4C58424-38A5-426E-81DE-631E7E2D2EE7.jpg

788EA769-BC80-47A1-BFA7-44B86F46C57B.jpg

747BBA54-B2CE-4A4A-8CB1-255D2D14AC52.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I never really thought of painting a plane orange but your's looks very nice in this photo. What brand paint did you use, color name?

Thanks Jim. I used Air-Tech out of Arkansas. My orange is a custom mix so not sure what to call it other than maybe "Don't Kill Me Orange". There is a number on the paint can but not sure if means anything. The white is one of their standard colors. The stripe is actually a custom mixed dark grey to match the upholstery.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I land grass much of the time then the grass gets covered then we go to Ice and now I run skis.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a weight question while the nose gear guys are watching.
    On the ground the nose seems quite heavy for taxiing on soft surfaces . Has anyone ever put some weigh on he tail to counter some of this? The W and B stays in good shape with say 10 Lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I land grass much of the time then the grass gets covered then we go to Ice and now I run skis.
    Fred what kind of skis are you running? Bruce N199CL