Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Amphib Kitfox Wannabe

Question Amphib Kitfox Wannabe

Hello All!
    I’m new to your forum, don’t own a Kitfox but after a lot of research and YouTubing I’ve zeroed in on the Kitfox as the best plane for my mission.
    I used to own a Lake Amphib LA 4-200, sold it a few years ago and miss water flying.
    Looking for opinions on which floats and engine combinations work well.

Thanks,
    Nelson

Default Re: Amphib Kitfox Wannabe

Welcome Puddle Jumper to TeamKitfox.com. Glad you found us.

The Kitfox makes an excellent float plane especially with one of the Rotax engines. I would love a set of Zenair amphibs (http://www.zenairfloats.com/) for my Kitfox 7SS with the Rotax 912 uls 100 hp.
    Living in Arizona makes that a little less practical but having grown up in Minnesota, float flying sure appeals.

Do a preliminary search for one of members with the username av8rps. Paul is our resident float guru and has answered many inquiries post here through the years.
    Paul is from Wisconsin and has much experience with his model 4 on straght floats and a Rotax 912 ul 80 hp. Looks like Paul hasn’t logged on in awhile. Paul also owns a Lakes amphib. Maybe you already know Paul.

Also member korbike (Dave) just sold his Kitfox on Zenair straight floats and has posted some youtube videos showing performance.
    Pretty impressive. He was running a 100 hp. Rotax 912 uls. I think I read where Zenair no longer offers factory complete amphibs but their predrilled kits look pretty doable. I think Dave mentioned that he built his floats from their predrilled kit.
    Best of luck. I’ll be watching for updates on your quest.

One of Dave’s videos.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thumbs up Re: Amphib Kitfox Wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Welcome Puddle Jumper to TeamKitfox.com. Glad you found us.

The Kitfox makes an excellent float plane especially with one of the Rotax engines. I would love a set of Zenair amphibs (http://www.zenairfloats.com/) for my Kitfox 7SS with the Rotax 912 uls 100 hp.
    Living in Arizona makes that a little less practical but having grown up in Minnesota, float flying sure appeals.

Do a preliminary search for one of members with the username av8rps. Paul is our resident float guru and has answered many inquiries post here through the years.
    Paul is from Wisconsin and has much experience with his model 4 on straght floats and a Rotax 912 ul 80 hp. Looks like Paul hasn’t logged on in awhile. Paul also owns a Lakes amphib. Maybe you already know Paul.

Also member korbike (Dave) just sold his Kitfox on Zenair straight floats and has posted some youtube videos showing performance.
    Pretty impressive. He was running a 100 hp. Rotax 912 uls. I think I read where Zenair no longer offers factory complete amphibs but their predrilled kits look pretty doable. I think Dave mentioned that he built his floats from their predrilled kit.
    Best of luck. I’ll be watching for updates on your quest.

One of Dave’s videos.

Thank you Desert Fox!
    It feels really nice to be welcomed!
    I’ll try to get in touch with av8rps, good to know you have a float guru I can get good info from.
    i watched the YouTube link you attached, NICE! I’ll be looking for more of Dave’s
    films.
    I’ve heard good things about the Zenair, Clamar and Czeck floats, it’ll be interesting to see what the float guru’s preference is.

Thanks again!
    Puddle Jumper (Wannabe).

I believe Paul has Aerocet 1100’s on his Model 4 Kitfox with the 80 hp. He said the Model 4 was a little under floated with the 1100’s but was able to operate safely and got a cruise speed that was in the 110 mph or so. Aerocets I understand are not made anymore and of course would be too small for a Kitfox model 5, 6 or 7 Kitfox. I don’t recall if he was running an in-flight adjustable prop.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    I believe Paul has Aerocet 1100’s on his Model 4 Kitfox with the 80 hp. He said the Model 4 was a little under floated with the 1100’s but was able to operate safely and got a cruise speed that was in the 110 mph or so. Aerocets I understand are not made anymore and of course would be too small for a Kitfox model 5, 6 or 7 Kitfox. I don’t recall if he was running an in-flight adjustable prop.

From what I’ve seen it looks like most are going with 1400’s or 1450’s for the newer models.
    I don’t really need a good cruise speed as my flying is going to be mostly hopping from one lake to another in the bunch of lakes we have in Central Florida, bigger floats wouldn’t be an issue for me.
    Thanks and have a great day!

Hey puddle jumper! I just put a deposit down on a Series 7 SS. I also plan on putting it on amphibious floats at some point as well. I live in Central, West Coast Florida, so very close to where you are located. At this point, I'm planning on putting the Rotax 912iS engine and I'm going to pair it with an Airmaster propeller with electric, controllable pitch. They even have a model especially made for float planes where you can put the prop in reverse for ease of manuvering on the water. I've been looking around myself and it seems like the most popular setup is with the Zenair amphibs. At the present time I don't have my float plane rating, but I plan on heading over to Winterhaven and getting it at the school that specializes in that area, can't remember the name off the top of my head. Who knows, maybe we'll be able to do have some puddle jumping adventures in the future!!

Thumbs up Re: Amphib Kitfox Wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by G coco View Post
    Hey puddle jumper! I just put a deposit down on a Series 7 SS. I also plan on putting it on amphibious floats at some point as well. I live in Central, West Coast Florida, so very close to where you are located. At this point, I'm planning on putting the Rotax 912iS engine and I'm going to pair it with an Airmaster propeller with electric, controllable pitch. They even have a model especially made for float planes where you can put the prop in reverse for ease of manuvering on the water. I've been looking around myself and it seems like the most popular setup is with the Zenair amphibs. At the present time I don't have my float plane rating, but I plan on heading over to Winterhaven and getting it at the school that specializes in that area, can't remember the name off the top of my head. Who knows, maybe we'll be able to do have some puddle jumping adventures in the future!!

That’s great! Hope you get your Kitfox soon!
    From what I can tell most folks are going with the Rotax 912 and Zenair floats.
    The prop with the cotrollable pitch sounds like an awesome idea, should help getting out of the water.
    Jack Brown’s is the floatplane school in Winter Haven, it’s a good school to get your rating at.
    I trained in Winter Haven with a different school because I owned a Lake Amphib hull seaplane and Brown’s only has planes on floats, they have Cubs and I believe also a Maule. Jon Brown was the designated examiner I got my check ride with at Brown’s.
    Let me know how things progress after you get your plane.
    It’d be great to go on puddle jumping adventures when we get set up, looking forward to it.
    Stay in touch!