Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zipper kit on my 80HP running rich

Default Zipper kit on my 80HP running rich

Anyone around the midwest (1500' field elevation) install the 105 HP Zipper kit and have to change the jets or setting on their carbs. Mine sure seems to run very rich. Possibly bad floats? Guessing it is time to take the cowling off again.

Default Re: Zipper kit on my 80HP running rich

Throw all the floats on a drug dealers scale and see what each one weighs. I had a sunken float and my engine was running so rich I thought my EGT probe quit working. $150 for a set of floats from CPS and all is well again.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Dave,
    I got rid of my drug dealer scales after I testified and they put me in the witness protection plan! I'm going to use my postal scale, will that work the same? LOL

All joking aside, I was thinking it might be the floats. I had them out recently and weighed them but thought they were good. I'll have a better look this time. Thanks!

Removed cowl and both sets of floats. They are basically at the maximum+ weight for the pair. My postal scale didn't quite seem consistant so I use my powder scale....no, not for that kind of powder...the one I use for reloading ammunition. It measures in Grains and I converted it to Grams.

Weights are:
    #1 4.328
    #2 3.648
    #3 3.427
    #4 3.226

Thinking that I should be replacing them. Now to find them in stock!

I read awhile ago that MS was making them also. Anyone tried them?
    Last edited by WWhunter; 07-13-2020 at 04:37 PM.

According to Hal, you should jet and tune the carbs as you would a standard 100 hp ULS engine. Also switch to the DCPR8E spark plugs. I prefer to gap at .021-.023" for better starting.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Checked on the MS website and they are making the Rotax Carb floats again. $165 for a set of two.
    May buy some just to have on hand for when the Rotax floats go bad.

Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    According to Hal, you should jet and tune the carbs as you would a standard 100 hp ULS engine. Also switch to the DCPR8E spark plugs. I prefer to gap at .021-.023" for better starting.
    Yes sir, using those plugs and gap.

I found an old set of floats in my hangar and weighed them. All 4 were about 3.2 grams. I can't remember if I replaced them when I rebuilt the carbs due to being heavy or just did it because I had new ones in the rebuild kit. They may have been heavy and have dried out after sitting on the shelf. I'll let them soak in some fuel for a few ys and see if they gain weight.

Probably just smarter to order new ones from MS. I did call them today and as has been mentioned, they have them available again.

Just looked on the CPS online catalog, and the pair of floats are $131.75 Item 12 in the parts list. I know I'm going to regret asking this cause it will come to me as soon as I hit send on this message, but what company is MS JImChuk

https://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rt...ngconstant.php

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I'm going to regret asking this cause it will come to me as soon as I hit send on this message, but what company is MS JImChuk
    Marvel-Schebler
    https://msacarbs.com/product/rotax-b...loat-ms80-430/
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Marvel Schebler, Jim.

I've read of issues with those floats also... I hope that's not the case still. Maybe that's why they were off the market for awhile? I also read that the floats were coming out of the factory at a pretty high weight to begin with... actually higher than the acceptable weight limit for the Rotax ones, but I can't personally confirm that. I'd recommend some current research, & let the buyer beware.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime