Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New Owner with some questions on Fuel tank leaks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: New Owner with some questions on Fuel tank leaks

I found this a while back, I thought it might help.

https://www.nvav.nl/images/stories/kitfoxresealingtanks.pdf

Interesting write up on the tank repair. I've sealed tanks on two different airplanes, but didn't cut the tanks open to do it. The one had aluminum tanks, and they did seal up, but eventually they did start to leak again. I don't know what happened to the other one, as I sold the plane, and never heard anything negative from the new owner. It was good while I had it though. That being said, I would do it again if need be. I took the wings off, and used my wing rotators so I could roll the wings around to get everything coated inside the tanks. I used KBS coatings and would do it again. JImChuk

Thank you all very much for the information and knowledge. This forum has been amazing. It's looking like the deeper I go the more projects I seem to find....as with anything but that's half the fun.

I think I will start a build/rebuild thread this week to continue sharing the process and asking for input along the way. Today I found some bent tubing in the landing gear area, quick measurements indicate minor damage with only one affected tube (immediately over where the grove gear mounts. There was no mention of a rough landing in the logs just that the gear was replaced without reason ~350 hrs ago in 2012 so I am guessing that was the time it happened. In any case I don't want to stray too far away from the original thread here but wanted to say thank you again to everyone who commented!