Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hello From a New Member and a Question about Kitfox

Default Hello From a New Member and a Question about Kitfox

Hello everyone,
    After 20+ years from a flying hiatus, I've rekindled my love of flying - thanks YouTube, Trent Palmer, and many others! It's funny how interests can unconsciously take a back seat to life, career, family, etc. I almost finished my PPL about 20 years ago in a C172 (have almost 50 hours), but I never finished it. Now, I have a situation where Sport Pilot is really my only 'for sure' option to fly due to the complexities involved with trying to get a 3rd class medical. I had a consult with an AME last month, and what I would have to do for a minor medical issue is ridiculous! So, I'm not going to risk it and just stick with SPL.

I love the idea of spending free time in my garage and building a plane. I believe myself to be mechanically and electrically inclined (was a Navy Nuke Electrician many moons ago). I used to build RC aircraft in my teens quite successfully and have recently done some successful woodworking making some furniture, etc. I don't have any metal working experience though.

I'm planning on getting my SPL next year. I'm about 245 lbs now, and I need to lose some weight to fly in the local school's Jabiru in Denton, TX. I'll also probably have enough cash saved up next year to purchase the Kitfox kit as well. I'm also going to look at taking a week or two vacation to Idaho sometime in the next few years to get some training specifically in the Kitfox at Stick and Rudder Aviation.

I guess my biggest questions are:
    • Is the Kitfox a good first airplane to build, or do most people build this with previous experience?
    • Is the Kitfox a good first airplane to start serious flying in, or do most people have previous plane experience?

Default Re: Hello From a New Member and a Question about Kitfox

It was my first airplane to build, and my first airplane to fly. Got my sport pilot certificate (with tailwheel endorsement) at Stick & Rudder at 69 years old.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    It was my first airplane to build, and my first airplane to fly. Got my sport pilot certificate (with tailwheel endorsement) at Stick & Rudder at 69 years old.
    That is phenomenal! Thanks for sharing that!!!!

Adam,

Welcome to Kitfox world. No matter what you decide to do, going to Stick & Rudder is a really good move. It is always good to ride/fly the plane you are thinking about building. In my case, my first Kitfox ride was in a friends model IV, later I hitched a ride in a 7; and, I will say the experience was what sealed my decision to build.

The kitfox gives a builder experience in the use of many techniques and materials - aluminum, composites, steel, fabric etc. I think a person has to have a reasonable amount of intuition with mechanical stuff and a sense of logic but that is true of any airplane building. You will learn a lot; and, I personally like the tube and fabric design. If a person can find an EAA chapter that as well as this forum is a tremendous asset.

In my opinion, the Kitfox is a serious airplane. A person can stew about if they want to go 200 MPH or 100 but I think the kitfox is a decent CX/utility airplane. Ours was AW'd as an EAB so it has the 1550# weight. My wife and myself can get on board with full fuel and still have room for 140# in the baggage bay - like for under wing camping gear. The short field capability is terrific and one of the reasons for our choice.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I would argue that the Kitfox, with its construction manual and builder forum, is the "first builders" airplane for sure. I had been out of flying for 25years. Got my TW endorsement at Stick and Rudder before I flew my plane the first time. I fly it currently under Sport Pilot rules.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I had never built anything as complicated as an airplane. I found with the excellent build Manuel and help from on line sources the build was straight forward. With your experience you should have no problems.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the feedback!

I figure that I would chime in.

I am about 150 hours into a 7 Super Sport build. I plan to use a Rotax 914 and build it up as a bush plane. The forum is excellent for support. In fact, there are so many builders answering questions that sometimes my head spins with the best course of action. The manual is generally very good but you absolutely MUST (and I do mean MUST) read well ahead of where you are working to see how the current step fits in with what is to come. I study the manual the night before so that I have a good idea of where I am headed.

Like so many others, I flew with Stick and Rudder when I bought the airplane. In the pre-COVID days last year, I set appointments with John at KF and Paul at S&R on the same day. I toured the factory and then spent two hours at S&R - one hour of ground instruction and one hour in the air. A fantastic experience.

The KF is a great plane and a great project. I highly recommend it.

Best

Fred