Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Useful Load Ranges

Default Useful Load Ranges

Greetings!

Prospective KF buyer here (too late to start building...need to fly!). What are you all experiencing for useful loads? I know there are variations based upon engines, props, instruments, seats, configuration, etc. But what are you seeing for your build/plane and what do you wish you had done differently that might impact useful load?

Default Re: Useful Load Ranges

Don't know what model you are specifically referring to but I have 2 kitfox IVs and they are as follows:

Kitfox IV 1050 - 560 pounds empty yielding 490 pound useful load. Very basic airplane powered by a Rotax 582. Lights, but no radios, sparse interior, polyfiber/polytone covering

Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - 680 empty yielding 520 pound useful load. Another very basic airplane. Did have radio and transponder polyfiber/polytone covering. This one is getting a full strip and rebuild and am hoping to keep it around that 680 pound mark but will add 2-axis autopilot but not much else to what it had before.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

And if you are considering a Kitfox 5, 6 or 7, then you have one of the best performing aircraft when it comes to load and range. I'm not being very precise here but my 5 will take two large pilots, at least 30 kg of luggage (depending on the weight of the pilots) and 104 litres of fuel giving a total endurance of nearly hours at about 90 knots. Not many planes can match that.

Quote Originally Posted by Auster View Post
    And if you are considering a Kitfox 5, 6 or 7, then you have one of the best performing aircraft when it comes to load and range. I'm not being very precise here but my 5 will take two large pilots, at least 30 kg of luggage (depending on the weight of the pilots) and 104 litres of fuel giving a total endurance of nearly hours at about 90 knots. Not many planes can match that.
    Last line should read "nearly six hours at about 90 knots."

My S7 SS with 912 ULS, Whirlwind 3-blade prop, 22" tires & T3 tail spring, and covered with Oratex weighs 819# empty. Gross weight is 1550#. So 731# useful load. As an example, I can have 175# in the pilots seat (me), a 200# passenger, full fuel (27 gal.), and 100# in the cargo bay (structurally designed for 150# max.), and my CG is at 15.31". The aft limit is 16.00". I don't particularly like the "feel" & performance under those conditions, but it's able and safe.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Model 7SS. Flying Sport Pilot at 1320 lbs. gross weight.
    Empty weight: 763 lbs. My goal during build was 750 lbs. empty weight.
    Useful load: 557 lbs. in Sport Pilot.

If not in Sport Pilot category useful load = 787 lbs. or 24 lbs. more useful load than my Kitfox weighs empty.

I was careful throughout my build to be mindful of weights. Spent lots of time reducing weight with all custom carbon fiber cowlings, naca ducts, baggage compartment floors and not adding “ gotta haves” throughout the aircraft. No brakes or pedals on passenger side, no adjustable rudder pedal system, no auto-pilot, lightweight ground adjustable Ivo prop, lightweight instrument panel, one iEFIS 8.5” MGL panel on pilot side, custom lightweight 1320’ Grove landing gear, Grove 5” magnesium rims, Kitfox Aircraft’s carbon fiber wingtips, lightweight fiberglass custom strut fairings, horizontal strut fairings and jury strut fairings.
    EarthX battery, partial upholstery kit form Kitfox Aircraft, Rotax 912 ULS engine.

What would I do different? Carbon fiber turtle deck. The factory one is heavy. Carbon fiber doors, carbon fiber prop spinner. Carbon fiber/kevlar seat pan. Maybe I’ll tackle a couple of these items in future. These few items would likely save another 8 lbs. maybe more. Those extra 8 lbs. would have gotten me very close to my build goal of 750 lbs. empty weight. All the custom carbon parts and light glass strut fairings likely added 600 plus hours to my build so weight savings on an aircraft are expensive both in time and materials. Quickest and most inexpensive weight savings was the install of an EarthX aircraft battery. And easiest.😉
    DCB63A03-0CC4-4333-9D4C-E35191279533.jpg
    2C10095A-F52A-42CD-84EE-08EE6EFDEAFE.jpg

Best of luck on hour hunt for a finished Kitfox. Better be educated and prepared to purchase the day one comes on the market. They don’t last long, especially Rotax equipped Model 4,5,6 and 7 models.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I've seen this one in person and it looks awesome!

Clark

Thanks Clark. Hope to see your project one day.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Thanks Clark. Hope to see your project one day.
    Anytime you want to make the trek up here! Might want to wait for cooler temps though...

Clark