Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpine Fox

Default Alpine Fox

This was a flight on July 5th over Austria's highest mountain, the Großglockner, at 12,461 ft. Actually we flew past the peak at an altitude of just under 12,000 ft as to fly exactly over the peak would be to enter the national park and bird sanctuary that covers this part of the Alps. The way through the park is to follow the winding historic Großglocknerstrasse, the road through the Alps built in the 1930's. You can see part of it one of the pics below. The first two show the peak of the GG, the second the road, and the fourth one of the many valleys we followed on the route home.

The Kitfox is an S5 with 912 ULS and fixed pitch prop. There was plenty of climb performance left, even at 12,000 with 180 kg of self loading cargo, about 20 kg of luggage and just over half tanks. We flew a total of 5.25 hours on the day with one landing for a break and fuel on the southern side of the Alps near the Italian border before heading back across the Alps to my home base near Vienna. A great day and I learnt much about choosing the right valley to fly through.

IMG_4435.jpgIMG_1994.jpgIMG_1988.jpgIMG_1996.jpg

Default Re: Alpine Fox

You have the most beautiful vistas from your Kitfox Kerry. 😎

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

What DesertFox4 said.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    What DesertFox4 said.
    The scenery is exhilarating and at times just a little intimidating, especially for a flat-lander like me. Also, as this was a Sunday and the start of the summer holidays, the skies were full of other flyers. As we climbed out of a valley after refueling we were seeing para-gliders, hang-gliders and gliders in abundance. This keeps one focussed, along with choosing the right valley. I found that my ipad nav app wasn't always the best way to make the decision as the magenta line sometimes hides ground features that give you the definitive clue. I'm pleased you like the pics. I'll post some more next week after I have driven over that same mountain pass, along with some friends, in our old cars.

Any pictures of your old cars. Mountains look awesome!
    Starfox

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDay7 View Post
    Any pictures of your old cars. Mountains look awesome!
    This is the machine which fights with the Kitfox for attention. A 1968 4/4. There are four of us, all in Morgans, in fact the 4 you see in this pic, who will do the trip next week. The oldest is a '56 Plus 4.

PHOTO-2020-06-13-12-00-08.jpg

We have a few Morgans around here too. Great you guys are doing it too, like I am with the Cobras. Fun times.
    Last edited by SomeDay7; 07-10-2020 at 08:59 AM.
    Starfox

Got to go on a cruise with the car club I am in yesterday. One Morgan present and one Factory Five Kit Cobra. Fun day with 186 cars cruising around Mercer Island
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Starfox

Wood wings and wood chassis, a perfect match for sure. Morgan’s are awesome for sure. I drove a friends Cobra and that cured me of wanting one. It was like driving the worlds fastest buckboard wagon.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Sounds like a Cobra of old. Factory Five has done improvements to their lineup just like Kitfox. Mine was a 20th anniversary edition in 2015 and the first year for using the mustang IRS. Very smooth and stable.
    Starfox