Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G3X wiring

Default G3X wiring

Is the PDF of the G3X/G3X Touch Installation Manual all the documentation I need to start wiring my system? Any other documents I need to do the job?
    I'm comfortable with all the wiring practices and have all the tools necessary.

Thanks!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Default Re: G3X wiring

Sort of. They show most of the information for almost all of the other Garmin equipment. The installation manual shows how to wire the display or multiple displays along with all of the other included LRUs and sensors.

If you have any non Garmin stuff you will need their manuals. I believe there was some additional information in the manuals for my Garmin ADSB, transponder, Com radio (GTR-200) that I used in my plane.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks for the reply.

I have all Garmin avionics. Gave them a call and they verified that the G3X install manual pdf was all I needed.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

Unhappy Re: G3X wiring

GTX45R is a separate PDF. Most of the LRU'S are within the main PDF. They update it so make sure you have the most current versions, or the version that applies to your equipment. I started by reading the manual. Its like 800 pages long but alot doesn't apply to your specific equipment so it goes quick. I then made a folder for every LRU that would be installed. I then printed the interconnect drawings that applied and LRU pinouts for each LRU. Took good notes on each folder. Make sure to read the diagrams and the *notes because they have pertinent info in the notes. One comes to mine is GTR200 requires 20 gauge wire unless you are running it a certain length then you step up to 18 gauge. G3X 465 you connect a pin depending on if its a MDF or PFD.

Couple tips. Label every wire, including ground using a label maker and shrink wrap. Use a main ground bus on the firewall. I would highly recommend this one. It saves tons of time and is clean.

GB24/48 B&C GROUND BLOCK 24/48-TAB FIREWALL KIT
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...07-03463-6.php
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Excellent! Much appreciated. Just downloaded the PDF. Thanks.
    Yes lol, I have that style grounding bus.

Brett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Couple tips. Label every wire, including ground using a label maker and shrink wrap. Use a main ground bus on the firewall. I would highly recommend this one. It saves tons of time and is clean.

Yes, good tips.

FYI feel like my B&C starter hasn't been very strong lately. Today I took a look at the main wiring to the starter and engine. I found the brass bolt and nut on the B&C firewall tab was a little loose and possibly starting to strip. This bolt carries the ground from my battery to the engine/starter through the firewall, as well as providing the main ground to the B&C tab assembly. I replaced the brass bolt with an AN5 bolt and torqued it down. I didn't start the engine yet . . . maybe tomorrow.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

If you have a safety trim kit or battery backup kit you would need those diagrams too. Can always start without them but they have wires that go into some of the garmin dsub connectors.

Thanks Meyer for the heads up. Good to know!

Brett Butler

I like PIDG ring terminals rather than fastons. Forget where I saw this but used it on my HDS installation. Get 3/8" copper tubing. Cut off a length and smash it flat with a hammer. Bend the ends to a Z to make legs. Drill holes and drop in brass machine screws from the back. I used plumbing "silver" solder, was very easy to fix the screws in place. Makes a great ground bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post

Building a KF IV Classic

And those darned PIDG terminals are pricey. I keep a lookout at ham fests for this stuff.
    Building a KF IV Classic