Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 1050 Speedster question

Default 1050 Speedster question

I'm about to enter the DAR inspection arena for what is a very long restoration of a model IV, 1050, Speedster. It now has a new Jabiru 2200 with a Prince Prop and the Kitfox IV style coil spring gear. I have time in a model IV classic, a J-3, a Champ, a Decathlon and some of the general type stuff like a 172 and 152. I am just a bit anxious about the first test flight. I survived two car crashes, a motorcycle crash, a Trike(weight shift) crash and Viet-Nam, so I don't need any more dramma at 71. Any help or advice is tremendously appreciated. Thanks- Tom -(Lio8)

Default Re: 1050 Speedster question

Highly recommend that just prior to your first test flight you go to Stick & Rudder in Idaho and take a few hours of refresher training.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I read your post earlier, and thought you were referring to flight characteristics and such. Now rereading it again, you mention a very long restoration period and a DAR. If you are just restoring the airplane, I'm not sure why you would need to involve a DAR. He would have done the the original airworthyness inspection, but he is not needed for a restoration. As far as flying the plane, if you can get used to ground handling on a grass strip, it will be a lot easier to handle the plane on grass then pavement. After rereading again, I see you are asking about first flight and such. If you can't fly with Stick and Rudder, maybe you can get some time with others in their Kitfoxes before you are ready to fly yours. And use grass for the first flights if you can. JImChuk

thanks For the. Quick reply Jim. The things I changed were, 2cycle engine to 4, Propeller, landing Gear, Tail wheel and the N number.

If the KF already has an Airworthiness Certificate just notify your local FSDO of the changes made. They will probably put you back in Phase one for five or so hours so you can test fly the aircraft in all the different configurations. As for changing the N number you need to check to make sure the desired number is available then submit a form to the FAA and they will issue you a new aircraft registration with the desired N number.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Thank you Mike and the rest. Good info. Anyone else have a Model 1050 Speedster?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Guy View Post
    If the KF already has an Airworthiness Certificate just notify your local FSDO of the changes made. They will probably put you back in Phase one for five or so hours so you can test fly the aircraft in all the different configurations. As for changing the N number you need to check to make sure the desired number is available then submit a form to the FAA and they will issue you a new aircraft registration with the desired N number.

**Please**

Get some type specific training in a Kitfox before flying it. A Kitfox is NOT a Cub or Champ, especially an earlier model.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos