Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for seasoned kitfox builders.

Default Question for seasoned kitfox builders.

It does not matter if it took you 6 months or 6 years to build a kitfox airplane, my question is what point of the build would you guess is the half way point of the build?
    I know everyone doesn't follow the pattern in the book but just give your best guess from your memory of your build.

I'm guessing when the covering is on one is close to half way???
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Default Re: Question for seasoned kitfox builders.

I remember someone telling me after I got mine covered and wheeled it outside, “you are almost half way.” Once I finished it I think they where right. Your “almost” half way when covered. Its like sheet rocking a house and you think your are almost done......
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 07-03-2020 at 08:14 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Not a bad estimate. I agree with Dustin on the "almost halfway". Those of us that used Oratex are considerably closer to that guestimate. Paint remains a considerable task. After cover I still had to install all the fuel stuff, electrical and my AP servos and avionics. Some people get that installed prior to cover. Then all the engine install, engine cowl work and the windscreen and interior. So I think "almost Halfway" is still a bit short maybe. Those things I note, after recollecting, are a considerable task still as I remember.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I adhered to the " 90 percent done, 90 percent to go theory" Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    I adhered to the " 90 percent done, 90 percent to go theory" Bruce N199CL

LOL , that's a good one! And seems true....
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

I would think psychologically that you go task by task, aka baby steps. Complete a task, congratulate yourself and move to the next and that way you never have to look up at the top of the mountain you are trying to hike. 😂

But as an interested reader and not a builder, I find it interesting that the covering is the half way point.

Being an engineering nerd, I kept very accurate records of time spent on my SS7 build, which included research and much noodling time. I did not use any prefab or quick build items, and wings were totally built by me. The only thing I did not do was paint that required a spray gun. Total time spent from kit parts inventory to AW certificate was 2412 hours (yes, I am slow and careful). The halfway point at 1206 hours was at the start of fuselage covering, the wings and all tail pieces had been covered, taped and Polybrushed-I used the Polyfiber system. This is all from my time log. I realize I saved a lot of time by not spray painting myself, but much of that was offset by my not using any prefab or quick-build items. I installed a 912 uls and did all my own wiring and avionics installation (Dynon Skyview, Garmin SL40, PS Engineering 3000 intercom, ACK E-406 ELT, no auto-pilot). So there you have it by the numbers for one guy's build. Once it was covered, taped and Polybrushed and standing on its own gear, it psychologically felt like it was more than half done, and in my case that was true.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Great job keeping such a detailed log Jim. I started out with daily build log entries, decided I was spending too much time think of hours work, estimated time to complete, percent accomplished, etc. Somewhere along the way Eddie remarked, "Stop worrying about the end point and just enjoy the building experience." My record keeping got a lot more casual at that point. But it would be great to have detailed records of the project as you've done.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I took around 2200 hours logged to build. Working full time job (could only work a couple of hours at a time) so it took a lot of time cleaning up etc. I also think covering was about halfway. For me it was the most satisfying portion of the build. Suddenly you could see what the final project was going to look like.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Thanks Guys. I do work one page at a time but its nice to know kinda were the halfway point is near. I understand it is different for different builds but being my first I only could guess. I do know finishing anything takes lots of time.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer