Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vortex generators

Default vortex generators

Anyone here glued their vortex generators to their wing using super glue? How did that work out?

Default Re: vortex generators

I bet it works great until you break one and need to replace it. Don't they come with nice little, preshaped, double sided adhesive stickers?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I have Stolspeed VG's that I installed probably 4 years ago with the adhesive they provided. They're all still there. They will come off easily if needed and not pull the paint off. The adhesive never gets hard. Any glue would probably bring paint with it if you had to pull one off.

Okay, since there is another discussion on the service alert regarding major changes to a wing upon which I brought up VGs, I didn't want to high-jack that thread so, I'm waking up this message to ask my question.

What are the pros and cons of VGs on a Kitfox 5-6-7? I understand what they do and given a no flaps stall speed of 44 power off stall and 42 power on, how beneficial are these to the Kitfox. I saw that Papua Flyer is thinking about adding them. I've seen them on other KFs via YouTube videos. Are these worth the cost and time?

If so, what brand/source is good for them?
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If I install VGs it would only be on the bottom of the horizontal stabilizer.

I rewatched the videos to remember what he found out. He claims VGs don't make any difference from 0 to 15 degrees, it's only around 25 degree nose up that the VGs help. I don't see any reason to install VGs on the wings of my plane. My landings are normal 3 point, I don't do the tailwheel first landings. I think my Kitfox sits at 8-10 degrees depending on tires.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I think VG's are amazing! On one aircraft that I used to fly T310R, they increased the max gross weight, (180lbs) reduced stall speed (4kts), reduced VMC (9kts) with no cruise performance change.

On my my 7STI I started out without VGs because I wasn't sure what VG's I wanted to run so I got a good before and after feel. After installing the VG's the improvement was significant. Reduced the stall speed by over 8mph. On an aircraft designed to land short, why wouldn't you want a slower stall speed? 8mph reduction on landing speed is significant distant reduction. I am always surprised that some elect not to run VG's??? Why would you not want a slower stall speed? You can can continue to fly your same AOA on landing, you just have that much more margin of saftey. Or, you can now reduce your approach speed and reduce your landing distance.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

After watching the videos I have to agree with Phil. I'm not going to be flying like Trent Palmer so I can't see doing 25 degree AOA landings. I do want to be able to get down in a football field length but I think that's doable without VGs and with good landing technique.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Kitfox sends VG's with the STI wing kit so there must be some kind of benefits.

I think about the pain of washing, and waxing around them ...

Jeff