Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flaperon mixer bolt safety wire

Default Re: Flaperon mixer bolt safety wire

Odd though, that they didn't just use a bolt with a drilled head. Unless you put a hole in the fabric that bolt wont go back in I suppose.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I've created conflict!
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA

I'm sure you could get the bolt far enough out to regrease it if necessary.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim has got this....

May be different in the pre S5 aircraft; however, the manual is clear on which way it goes on the later craft. I'd reinforce the thought the reason is to have the smooth shank of the bolt rotate on the larger bearing. I am also not convinced that extracting the bolt would be impossible - it will come out a ways without touching the fabric; and, the fabric is not inflexible and can likely be deflected (carefully) enough to get the bolt out with the span of fabric that exists between the hard points.

So far I have not needed to remove the bolt; and, the recommended lubrication procedure seems to adequately take care of that anyway. I'd guess the fabric will be replaced in 25 years before the bolt needs to come out.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

So I installed this the way the manual describes, even though seemed more dangerous than a cotter pin. Saftey wired it and bolt moved with linkage as described in the manual. On my recent condition inspection the bolt was no longer moving freely. The bolt would stay until the saftey wire caught and then moved the bolt with it. Eventually I think the saftey wire would fail with possibility of the nut coming off. So I decided to just use a cotter pin. I slightly loosened the nut to allow it to rotate with the linkage freely. This seems much safer to me? Even if the bolt stops rotating like it’s suppose to, the likelihood of wearing things out in my lifetime seems unlikely. Seems less likely to have something fail?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

The Factory uses a cotter pin on their builds.