The current antenna on my Kitfox is poorly put together and needs replacing. I bought a Rami AV-10 to install in the spot just behind the turtledeck, and had some questions. The current antenna just terminates at a bolt (see photos) and has a nut on the inside of the fuselage that holds it in place. The new one has a BNC connector and will get secured to the fuselage via 4 bolts. I've never modified fabric before and had some questions:

1. The center hole that the current antenna goes through needs to be widened to allow for the male BNC connector on the antenna to mate with the female connector on the coax. I know you can't just drill through that area as it may tear open the fabric, so what would be the best way to drill a larger hole through the fabric and the steel underneath? It currently has some kind of cardboard "grommet" as a protective measure from chafing against the antenna and that will also have to be widened or replaced (see photo).
  2. For putting holes through the fabric for the mounting bolts of the antenna, can I just use a soldering iron to punch a hole through? Or is there a better way to do it? Will it also need that "grommet" to prevent the fabric from tearing over time? I worry that a hole will spread over time if it's not reinforced somehow.

IMG_4239.jpg
IMG_4240.jpg
IMG_4244.jpg
av10draw.jpg