Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Total cost to build?

Default Total cost to build?

I realize that this is a loaded question, as I’m sure the answers will vary, but I’m wondering what you that have actually built your Kitfoxes spent on your builds. I did some “napkin math” that looks like this (all from KF website 6/2020):

KF 7 SS kit. $29995
    Speedster tail. 295
    Prefab brackets. 750
    Adjustable rudders. 325
    QB Wing. 1895
    Chromoly struts. 3150 (ouch)
    Cordura Seat. 1095
    Cabin vents/heat. 865
    Tool kit. 425
    Panel. 8000
    Rotax 912ULS. 18900
    Prop. 2300
    Engine Component kit 4895 (What does this buy me?)

Total (minus landing gear and tires, and lighting. Oh yeah, paint and assorted bling) ~$73000

Where else do you spend money on this? Do these numbers seem about right? I know... “if ya hafta ask....”. Just looking for real world examples of what it cost to get your birds in the air.

Thanks,

Curt

Default Re: Total cost to build?

factor in consumables, they will nickle and dime you more than you think.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Tools & supplies - thousands of dollars
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I would agree on the consumables. Read some build threads. How many tools do you have?

Landing gear and tires come with the kit.

You should itemize the panel also. $8,000 does not go far, depending on what you want. Wire, breakers or fuse panel or VPX?, connectors, tools - buy/borrow?, any glass or just ipad?, auto pilot?. Do you rattle can the panel or have it laser etched. Many of those little things add up.

What kind of paint? poly fiber is a lower cost and lower gloss approach. PPG stuff or something else adds up quick.

The firewall forward kit you mentioned has engine mount, upper and lower cowling, radiator, hoses, fuel hose and fuel fittings, etc.

Many little options that are hard to speak for - make your own baggage sack or buy one? You can scan the kitfox online catalog and think through those things.

I've read/noticed that (broad) generalities end up with 3X the original kit cost will have you fairly close to a nice finished plane. Granted some do it for much less and some outfit the plane with 20-30K in avioics, but a good average is roughly 3 times the kit cost and try to find ways to build it for less. Used engine/pro can save quite a bit, as can used avionics. SO many variables.

A full Garmin suite like mine will cost probably 20K today. G3X 10" and a 7", GTN radio, GTX Xpdr with In and Out ADSB, two axis autopilot with control head. I wouldn't get the 7" screen if done again. Don't forget the ELT. Auto Pilot is truly unnecessary. I flew without using it for about a year and now that I am employing it from time to time I conclude that it is just a luxury item that I truly could have done without. If you aim to do a fair amount of cross country maybe you will find it worthwhile.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

You forgot the firewall forward kit. That's another 4-5k.

I think engine component kit = firewall forward kit in the original post.

Another angle on all of this... the pricing is for a new kit. Some wait for a deal on a partially built kit and finish it. Can get a discount that way. Search projectkitfox on youtube.

I’ve been watching those videos. It’d be interesting to know what he paid for all that. Not sure I’m super excited by the apex motor, but hey.
    3x the kit cost?!?! In my example, my kit cost was about $45k (no motor, no panel). $135k??? Yikes!
    Guess I was hoping for people to say “my plane cost xxx”. Maybe it’s too painful to total it all up.

Curt

I am not sure it is as easy as 3X. At the same time, there are alot of variables. Are you going to do everything yourself? Farm out panel? Farm out paint?

I am doing everything myself. I think I'll be around $90K when done.

My .02 though is that if $75K would be ok for someone, but $90K is out of the question, then this probably is not for them.

The only way to get a better guess is go further/deeper into the itemization list you had. And a list of tools.