Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Total cost to build?

Default Re: Total cost to build?

70,000 is in the ball park, I purchased a SS7 kit in 2012 with most options, 912iS and firewall forward, Very complete avionics with Advanced 5600 EFIS and garmin com and transponder. All was purchased through Kitfox factory. I ended up at 75,000 all tools/accessories included. Unfortunately I am in WA. state and had to add 7,000 in sales tax because Wa. requires aircraft registration and sales tax must be paid just as if it were an automobile.

Thanks for the answers so far. Another thing I might have put in my original question would have been time to build as well. It’s advertised as needing about 1000 hours but in another thread a fellow is over 4 years into his. Slow and steady wins the race? I get it... family, jobs, waiting for parts/help, all slow one down.
    So along with 💰💰💰 cost, how long did it take YOU, from kit showing up in the big truck to your first flight? Just trying to see if this makes sense for me to do.

Thanks again,

Curt

1000 hours is very conservative. It took me over 1200 hours in about 2 years, and I am a very experienced A&P. Those hours were only the hands on work, I didn't count research and online time.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I will probably have 1,200 in mine. Never built a plane but am mechanically inclined. Hope to be in the air in a few months, started March 2019.

My .02 on the key to this is working on it every day. If you are the type of person that starts something and then it sits for a period of time, it is not for you. Things like waiting on parts should not really be a factor. You can have enough things going on simultaneously on this. Waiting on parts has never caused a delay for me.

I know that some enjoy a long 5 year type of build. Make everything perfect, they enjoy building and the process. I really want to fly and did not want it to take that long. Everyone is different and that is ok. Lack of any progress at all though over a long period lowers the odds though.

My humble .02

I was thinking of that... one of my many other hobbies over the years has been building and flying RC planes. I’m kinda in the middle. I like building, but I like flying more. Some guys I’ve known would spend years building a plane, and then never fly it. To each his own I guess.

Curt

1000 to 1200 hours is what it is. Divide it up by 8 or 4 or 2 or 1 and that's how long it's going to take. Twelve hours a day and you're done in less than 4 months. An hour a week and you will be flying by 2030. I don't think somebody can tell you that they are all built in 1 or 2 years, everybody's pace is different. Don't forget the kits are taking well over a year just for delivery so add that onto your planning.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Three years for me. I work full time, and ignored a lot of other responsibilities like housework. So, If your married, you will not get away with that most likely. I went a couple of months without touching it at least once or twice in those three years. I would recommend not tracking the hours. I took that advice from an article in Kitplanes magazine. Hopefully your building a plane as a "recreation and educational endeavor". Other than logging hours for things like Flight time or time necessary to accomplish a dive table while SCUBA diving, why would anyone document their recreation time except for simple curiosity. If you do build, go out, build a part or two and call it a day. A long day if you like, but if you don't enjoy constructing with your hands and sometimes your brain, think twice about it. If you haven't a fair amount of free time you might not get this done. Although I had help with the wiring, I could have probably done it quicker than they did with all the problems I ran into with my avionics shop. And I drove the wiring back and forth for corrections vs. having to mail it. That would have been a bigger nightmare. Your learning here on this forum how helpful people will be with your build. This is a huge reason people feel the way they do about the Kitfox community and whether or not they might be able to accomplish the goal. You can do it without question. Good Luck.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

1948.95 hours (over 26 months) and $68,926.97 (but I didn't keep track of a lot of the nickel and dime purchases, esp in the last few weeks). And - I had almost all of the needed tools.

Everything kitfox has went up a lot in the last couple years. Budget 100k and hope you come in under that.
    You won't if you want a turbo engine and dual glass cockpit..........
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer View Post
    I am not sure it is as easy as 3X. At the same time, there are alot of variables. Are you going to do everything yourself? Farm out panel? Farm out paint?

I am doing everything myself. I think I'll be around $90K when done.

My .02 though is that if $75K would be ok for someone, but $90K is out of the question, then this probably is not for them.

The only way to get a better guess is go further/deeper into the itemization list you had. And a list of tools.

My post was a basic guesstimate. Well, that's pretty darn close to 3X. Average kits now days are $25-30K+. Times 3 comes out to $75-90K Ok, I use old style math, not common core crap the teach these days.
    Like I mentioned, if you buy used items such as engine and avioinics you can save a considerable amount.