Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KITFOX vs. Bushcat

Default KITFOX vs. Bushcat

Hi everyone,

My first post... might as well come in with controversy!

Ive got the “build my own plane” bug, and I’ve been spending vast amounts of time on the web searching for info. Based on what I want to do with a plane, the Kitfox SS w/912ULS or a Bushcat w same motor would fit my wants (taildragger, short field capability, side by side seats, modern avionics, etc). Here are my pros and cons list.

Bushcat pros
    Quick build. Advertised as 250-300 hours.
    Covering material is precolored and simply “laces up”. Painting not required.
    Lower cost ($10k less or more)
    Cons
    That same covering material doesn’t last forever.

Kitfox pros
    Folding wings
    Higher useful load
    Skin lasts a long time (how long DOES it last?)

Cons
    Higher price
    Longer build time, including covering and paint
    Seems like more “fabbing” of parts required.

Yes, I realize that this is a Kitfox forum, but any thoughts you all might have on these two planes would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Curt

Default Re: KITFOX vs. Bushcat

I don't usually get involved in this kind of discussion, but I think an important "Pro" not mentioned is, the fact that the Kitfox is STEEL. There is a "protective" cage of STEEL around you. I don't have any scientific analysis or crash test data, but I do know that frames made of STEEL, especially a tubular, gusseted STEEL frame like the Kitfox uses, is stronger than a bolt together aluminum tubing frame such as the frame used on the Bush Cat.

Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the Kitfox forum. I can totally relate to you gathering all kinds of information and trying to decide on what type and brand of aircraft you would like to own / build. I spent a lot of time doing the same for many years, even debating certified vs. experimental aircraft. I looked at the Rans S6 & S7, the Just Aircraft and a few more. In the end I decided to stay away from certified aircraft and that the Kitfox would best fit my needs.

As you look at planes a couple of the big things to consider besides the actual aircraft is factory support and the community of owner/builders. You aren't going to find anything better than the Kitfox factory and group on TeamKitfox. After a quick look at the AeroSport Website I don't see a lot of information, helps, etc. and I don't know if there is a BushCat forum/group.

The Kitfox is manufactured in Homedale, Idaho and over 6,000 kits have been delivered. There are thousands of them flying. I know there are parts and tech support available just a phone call away. You can also go to Stick & Rudder Aviation and get flight training in a Kitfox (check the link above). Where is the BushCat manufactured (I couldn't find this after a quick look on the website)? Is there a factory rep you can call when you have questions on the build? What about parts support down the road? What happens if it becomes orphaned and you can't get a new set of skins? Can you get training or a demo flight in a BushCat?

As far as how long the covering lasts the lace on one is an unknown, but I'm sure it isn't hard to change. Do you get a choice of colors or patterns? There are several ways for covering a Kitfox; including Stits PolyFiber, Stewart System and Ortex. Many of us use the PolyFiber because it is a proven system used on certified planes. If you keep your plane hangared, and you should, it will last for more than 20 to 30 years.

FYI I did get to fly a Rans S6 while I was doing my research. It is a nice plane and flew fine, although it felt a little light. It would have cost a little less than my Kitfox. I believe that it had laced on covering too. In the end the Kitfox met my needs better.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks for the well thought out responses. I hadn’t thought of the steel vs aluminum debate, and I’m sure there are pluses and minuses for both.

i definitely want to stay away from certified aircraft, due to the ability to do one’s own maintenance and experiment with different things.

The Bushcat is made in South Africa and imported to a couple in Wisconsin. Super friendly folks, and seem pretty available for questions and help. I have thought of the “orphan” possibility, and that would be a huge bummer. it takes some searching to find manuals online for the BC, and the assembly manual is only available to buyers of the kit. I like how KF puts that out there to see what we’re getting ourselves into.

Buying USA is always a plus, and local parts support would be nice, even though I’ll never need to fix anything 😇. Training and demo flights are available for the BC. The covering material is available in a number of colors, patterns, and supposed to last “well over 10 years” according to AeroSport, assuming it’s kept hangared and clean. I like the idea of 20-30 years better... at almost 60 now, I’m sure that’ll be enough. Heck, maybe 10 is enough.

Anyways, lots to chew on. I love the idea of the folding wings as ya never know what the parking situation will be. 1000 hours of assembly time vs 300 is a bit troubling. I’ve never taken on a project like this (built plenty of RC planes that took a while, but...) and it’s a little daunting. There’s a friendly EAA chapter nearby and they’ve told me I could use space in their hangar for the build, so that’d be a help... I think. There are ZERO used Bushcat aircraft for sale, and very few decent KFs out there. Wonder why that is? Just kidding.

Again, thanks for the thoughts. I think I know which way I’m leaning, just afraid to dive into the deep end of the pool.

Curt

The current model Kitfox was designed to FAR Part 23 standards, but the factory never decided to produce a certified version. They do sell an SLSA. Most of the other experimental and LSAs are built to ASTM standards, which is not the same thing.

I also like the 1550 gross weight for the Kitfox; this is an option if you don't certify it as an LSA. Even with a heavy engine I have over a 650# UL and with full fuel I still have over 500# UL.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Have you considered the Rans S21 Outbound?

Nope, I’d never heard of it before this. I’ll hafta take a look.

Thanks!

I looked at both airplanes and the decision wasn't very hard. There is nothing wrong with the Bushcat but I liked the fact that the Kitfox frame was chromoly steel instead of aluminum. Also the zipper on covering and the giant fuel tank in the cargo area didn't sit well with me. Also there is a large and active Kitfox community for support and camaraderie where with the Bushcat you are kind of on your own. I would love the chance to fly one but I couldn't be happier with my Series 6 Kitfox.
    Last edited by desertdave; 06-27-2020 at 07:59 PM.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

For me, I’d way rather watch Trent Palmer videos than Bushcat Tom videos.

There is a Bushcat near me that I got the chance to inspect. Honestly, it reminded me of folding lawn furniture. It has a ultralight feel to it rather than a true airplane feel of a Kitfox.