Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Starfox Update

Default Re: Starfox Update

Great looking cushions Jim. Seat pan looks good!

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Boy, do I envy you guys with those welded-in mounting tabs for the seat pan...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thanks guys! Finally getting after it again.
    Starfox

My model 5 seat pan came with holes and was supposed to use tiewraps, which I didn't like at all. I upgraded to some Adel clamps with #10 tinnerman nutplates and use AN3 bolts to mount my seat pan. It takes 2 minutes to get my seat out now for the inspection. I have 3 on each side at the front lip and 2 on the rear upper lip, 8 bolts total.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

The previous builder of my series 5 did something similar by making his own Adel type clamps out of stainless. I Hysoled these in place and riveted floating nutplates on them.
    PXL_20200926_220000573.jpg
    PXL_20200926_204436072.jpg
    Then I used countersunk screws with dimpled washers to hold the seat in place.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Default Rudder cable install

Swaged my rudder cables tonight. Watched a few videos and first one came out just right. Start on the stringers tomorrow.
    Starfox

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    The previous builder of my series 5 did something similar by making his own Adel type clamps out of stainless. I Hysoled these in place and riveted floating nutplates on them. Then I used countersunk screws with dimpled washers to hold the seat in place.
    That looks like the clamps from the factory for the upgrade. I got two of them for the top of the seat pan.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Default Door and window angle install

I was going to install the dual pin door latch and it appeared that the first part of the instructions were missing. The section started on #28. Called kitfox and I was glad I did. The dual pin door latch info was actually all there. Heather told me that the latch was recently brought back from Skystar and the info was all there. She did give me some helpful tips on the door and window angle install I didn’t know about. I guess another builder made up some videos on his build. SaltFox on YouTube. He actually had Brandon on and there is some helpful tips there. Like use some rib strengtheners to set the right depth for the fuselage cowl angle. Another tip was to use a straightedge from the door angle to the bottom of the fuselage so the fabric will flow smoothly from the angle to the bottom. Dimple the metal to hide the rivets. Time to get on to the latches and install the doors.
    Starfox

That's a different approach to the rear window frames. I see you have the lower angled piece on top of the fuselage tube. My lower aluminum piece "cups" the tube from underneath. Seeing yours made me scramble to see if I did it wrong (high likelihood) but I see a few other build threads which are the same.

If anything, doing it your way makes it easier to install the windows. With the tube inside the channel you have to bond the aluminum in place with the gap outboard of the tube to allow room for the window, and doing so creates a bit of a bump at the rear corner which likely won't fair well when covered.

Yours looks very smooth. And either way, when covered it would take a very sharp eye to know which way the frames were installed.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Yes, I figured the windows would fit nice this way.
    Starfox