Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Starfox Update

Default Re: Starfox Update

A tip to avoid having to draw all those lines for rib stitch spacing; use a thin, flexible strip (about 1" wide) of fiberglass, like what you trimmed off the wingtips, to mark your stitch spacing. Always line up this strip with the trailing edge; much easier. Also very handy for tweaking the spacing to avoid underlying structure; just move it from rib to rib and check structure interference, slightly readjust your marks until one spacing plan works on all ribs. You will need a separate strip for top and bottom.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim. Did exactly that with a piece of tape doubled and marked. Then an extra piece to make it non stick after I got the marks aligned the way I wanted them. I moved this tape from rib to rib with it completely wrapped around the wing aligned back to front. Thought about using this to mark the actual holes but with the flaperon brackets in every.other bay and not figuring the front and back ending of the reinforcing tape. So I went with snapped chalk lines to help site down the wing and keep everything straight in my head. As in the poly fiber manual: the chalk lines disappear into the poly brush so not an issue. I think I spend 3/4s of the time thinking about what could be wrong and a forth of the time actually building. I have not done the single capstrip ties on the two bottom knot locations under the laker leading edge. Have a circle needle to use but have some other ideas too.
    Starfox

"I think I spend 3/4s of the time thinking about what could be wrong and a forth of the time actually building."

So true.

Some things come easier, other stuff, not so much. A lot of new skill sets here and the potential for missing a crucial step or nugget of info is high.

They say your mistakes make you smarter and train you to do a better job the next time around and the pain you feel is weakness leaving the body, I find that it's mostly aggravating causing bad language to be used frequently. Tbh - I do not feel any smarter...

Keep your eyes on the prize.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Looking good! What engine did you buy?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks Dustin. Your planes are awesome. Did you get any coyotes? Thinking about how easy that oratex would have been while doing all this rib stitching. Kinda fun though. Any weight in the tail in your planes? I’m going to need it as I’m going with an anniversary 915 and a MT prop.
    Starfox

Chased 3 but they all got away. Its harder to track them with little to no snow.

I did not have to add any weight to the tail. I did all remote mount radios so that helped. When I am at max weight, full fuel, two 175 passengers and 150 cargo, I am right at my aft CG. We went fixed pitch prop so that saved a lot of weight. Have you put your order in for your 915?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Yes. Ordered it up when Brandon said prices were going up. Hope to pick up the engine with the firewall forward package about June. Just about done with the finishing tapes on my wing. June and July will be paint time and I hope to get it all complete by late fall if I don't get any more on my plate.
    Starfox

Default Left wing

Time to move this wing out of the heated room and bring in the other. Ironing the pinked edges of the finishing tapes seemed to take forever. It’s ready for spraying when the weather turns warm. Looks like my panel is being worked on and the engine is paid for. Just have to get the other wing to this stage and I’ll start working on the fuselage. Other wing is 75% done and I now have a better idea of what to do so it should go quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Starfox

Default Right wing

Just as I thought. Delays happen. This is supposed to be fun. Have been working on the wing occasionally. 60-70 hours per week at work. And my moms care went to another level. Got her in assisted living. Hard to find a place now with COVID-19. I did and it is not in total lockdown like most are. That meant a lot. Now am up to my neck in the sale and cleanup of her house so just more time away. Wing is about ready to cover. Just have to get the flaperon brackets mounted and be ready for cover. Did have an issue with the laker leading edge. Glued and taped it and came back to one of the seams under the tape pulled away and not to my liking so had to do a patch. Had to call advanced flight for more info on installing the ADHRS as they sent a magnetometer for remote installation. The install in the advanced flight install manual is brief and unclear. Come to find out the advanced manual is almost a supplement to the Dynon install manual. So I installed the magnetometer in the wing along with the OAT sensor running from it. Mount for it has no metal on it. Magnetometer slides in tightly in the bracket I made. Both are accessible through the access hole in the bottom of the wing and removable by just 5 zip ties. Finally a day and night off so I am going to work tonight to start the fabric.
    Starfox

The plane is not important when you are dealing with those other issues. Your build is looking good.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw