Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Starfox Update

Default Re: Starfox Update

My baggage sack didn't come with that fancy net over the opening. Where'd you get that?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Part of it. Directions also said you could just put in 4 of the 8 bolts and nuts. But I’m going to use all 8 and need to get some tie downs to put on each of them.
    Starfox

Default **** happens and ordering for the future

Just in the figuring mode lately. Looking at the battery tray for the 915 and mounting of the autopilot servos. Think I have the best idea for the battery and servo placement. It is locate in the aft fuselage. The batteries recommended at kitfox were the odyssey pc625 or the etx680c. Both seemed under rated. Also such a variation in weight at 13.2 lbs and 3.9 lbs. Not sure how much weight I need in this aft station, but may need more due to the weight of the 915 and MT propeller. Placed an order to aircraft spruce for the raw materials tonight. Also placed an order for the earthx 900 and charger with the power supply. Excited to get this installed along with the ELT and then it will be on to some fuselage covering.
    Not sure if needed but my boy has been training over seas and here is a video of practice. He did say this is a guy that is a little different but he caught the essence of the training.

https://youtu.be/_OZYBeEZ3iY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SomeDay7; 03-15-2022 at 11:53 PM.
    Starfox

That was good Jim… thanks for sharing it!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Cool video!

I would go with the battery kitfox recommends which I believe is the ETX680C. As far as moving the battery here is my opinion. Leave the battery factory location and just add weight to the tail. Run a weight and balance and see how little the moment moves by shifting the battery to behind the seat. You are going to add quite a bit of weight running battery cables and moving the battery that far from the starter. You will get the largest moment shift with the least amount of added weight by just adding weight to the tail. Basically I think you will shift the CG the most and add the least amount of weight just by adding weight to the tail. Next is run the airmaster instead of the MT and save on weight on the nose which really effects forward CG being clear out on the farthest arm.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 03-16-2022 at 06:38 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Shadowrider, The ETX680c is undersized for this application from beginning. I am staying with that setup and actually adding a storage compartment aft of that station. It will be for a tool kit, anchors, and some safety stuff. This should help with weight and balance calculations. Seems such little knowledge out there of this setup other than what Kitfox knows and would like to know beforehand. Guess this is my solution to my question. Not getting rid of the prop as I have invested heavily in this setup and will adapt around it.

Jrevens, I can't believe the coverage we have from this conflict going on now. All this has happened in the past conflicts with the general populations not knowing the details. Our military just needs to make sure we are ready due to the push of the public seeing this carnage.
    Starfox

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDay7 View Post
    Shadowrider, The ETX680c is undersized for this application from beginning.
    I agree with this. I followed the 915is manual and will get the ETX900. Adds 1 lb which is not too bad.

I wonder if anyone has tried aluminum wire rather than copper. Does that save weight? I know it has to be thicker to
    carry the same current. Aluminum has 60% current capacity and 30% of the weight so to get the same current
    carrying capacity it would weigh half as much. Seems like a good option for those of us trying to get the weight
    down to meet LSA standards.

Victor
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

I would avoid using aluminum wiring in aircraft. The history of its use have not been good in aircraft.

Just keep your main power runs as short as possible and use copper wiring, even if it means ballasting the the tail a little for CG reasons.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by VictorV View Post
    I agree with this. I followed the 915is manual and will get the ETX900. Adds 1 lb which is not too bad.

I wonder if anyone has tried aluminum wire rather than copper. Does that save weight? I know it has to be thicker to
    carry the same current. Aluminum has 60% current capacity and 30% of the weight so to get the same current
    carrying capacity it would weigh half as much. Seems like a good option for those of us trying to get the weight
    down to meet LSA standards.

Victor
    Is the EXT900 what kitfox sells for the 915 firewall forward kit now? Will it fit in the battery tray? Are you concerned about cranking amps? The 915is is the same bore size as the 912uls and actually has less compression than the 912uls The EXT680 cranks the 912uls and creates some thrust while doing it. Just curious what your seeing?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Talked with Brandon on the battery after I got it. Said it works well. Like Victor said just a pound more. A few styrofoam shims and we are good.
    Starfox