Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Starfox Update

Default Re: Starfox Update

Didn’t take to many of the making of the tips. Did use the rib closest to the tip for a pattern before I glued it in. Used a router to get the part to conform around the tube. Then cut it with a band saw and finished with a lot of sanding.
    Starfox

Thanks for the extra photos -- those are great! From that and the description I can envision what you did.

They look awesome, seems a shame to cover them up -- but under the fabric you'll know they look great!

D.

Default Final panel layout

This is probably the layout I will use. Not enough room for the vents. The vents will be below the panel. Any advice is welcome before I get it made. Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Starfox

That is a full panel! Looks good.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Looks very nice! A few things come to mind that you might consider:

- To the right of the MASTER switch, there are two other items. One appears to be labeled START, but there's also an ENGINE START pushbutton. Is this an accidental duplication?

- For any modern avionics which are qualified to DO-160 sections 16 and 17, the AVIONICS master switch is unnecessary. Furthermore, unless you plan to start the engine with no instrumentation turned on, the switch will serve no real purpose. It's also a single point of failure for the whole panel; perhaps not of critical concern for a VFR airplane with a tablet installed, but something to think about.

- Regarding the two-way rocker for NAV and STROBE, does this switch allow both to be on at the same time?

- Does the CABIN LIGHTS dimmer also adjust the brightness of rocker switch illumination? If the plane will be flown at night, do you really want LED lights in all of your switches, especially if they're not dimmable? Consider: position of the MASTER and AVIONICS switches are obvious by operation of the avionics; position of the AUTOPILOT switch is obvious by servo operation; position of LANE A and B switches are obvious by operation of the engine and lack of LANE A and B lights on the engine instrument; position of PUMP 1 and 2 switches are obvious by operation of the engine; and, position of NAV, STROBE, TAXI and LANDING LT switches are obvious by looking outside. Most manufacturers these days use a "dark cockpit" concept, reserving panel indicator lights for abnormal conditions only, so they'll be more likely to get the pilot's attention.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thanks Eric! I'll get back with you after I do some more investigating. Jim
    Starfox

Eric,
    Here is the response from the engineer at Advanced. Yours should be similar to this if you are going with Dynon and a 912is. Going to send this final copy off to be made. Just wish I was further a head on the rest of my build. Took about 4 months of time to work on my moms stuff and now coming up on the season I wanted to get it painted in. Mom's house sale closed this week so that chapter is done. Just have to sale her car now. And my horses will be started in a couple of weeks which means I ride everyday for a month straight to get the lessons in their heads. May have to add a year to my build......

- To the right of the MASTER switch, there are two other items. One appears to be labeled START, but there's also an ENGINE START pushbutton. Is this an accidental duplication?
    -This is not how your engine works as you have a momentary start toggle switch and then a push to start to start the engine. So no, this is not a duplication.

- For any modern avionics which are qualified to DO-160 sections 16 and 17, the AVIONICS master switch is unnecessary. Furthermore, unless you plan to start the engine with no instrumentation turned on, the switch will serve no real purpose. It's also a single point of failure for the whole panel; perhaps not of critical concern for a VFR airplane with a tablet installed, but something to think about.
    -This does not accurately demonstrate how our system is designed to work. The master switch first turns on the EFIS so that you can monitor your engine prior to start. Turning the AVIONICS master on prior to start would be running all your avionics off the battery which is not ideal for the battery. The avionics would reboot after the engine is started too. You would turn the AVIONICS master switch on after starting your engine.

- Regarding the two-way rocker for NAV and STROBE, does this switch allow both to be on at the same time?
    -Strobe position turns on both nav and strobe lights while nav position just turns on the nav lights.

-The cabin lights dimmer controls cockpit lighting that you may wish to install and wire to the dimmer switch. Avionics/switch lighting is controlled through the EFIS.
    Starfox

With regard to the EFIS rebooting on engine start. This is rectified by having a back up battery for your PFD. I start my engine with all my avionics on without problems.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Beauty -- I'm glad the answers all make sense and you're satisfied that it's just the way you want it!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Default YeeHaw

Spent most of the summer training horses,working,fishing and still taking care of my mom. Yes she is still alive after given only 6 months to live. Modern medicine is incredible. It’s getting tougher but we are still going. Year and a half later. Broke two colts this summer. They are awesome rides and we do ride them a couple times a week on the pipeline road up to a trail system. I fish the ocean in my HiLaker which is a 14 ft center console. Kind of compare it to the kitfox I’m building as it is small for the ocean but has always brought me back safely, sometimes going out 18 to 20 miles looking for salmon. Ran across a huge kelp line and saw about 10 sunfish milling about. About the size af a piece of plywood. End of the summer I did some trail obstacle challenges and my horse performed excellent.

Restarted the build a couple of weeks ago. Was frustrated with the stabilizer and elevator bushings and bearings not lining up and binding. Decided that some filing on the bushings due to alignment with the tabs were needed and it loosened up the elevator.

Following the build manual now and working on the controls. They are turning out smooth but need a lot of adjusting and smoothing. Working on the flaperon mixer install and the safety wire part stumped me for a few but got it to work right.

I will try to post some pictures of some of this soon if any one is actually interested.