Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Starfox Update

Default Re: Starfox Update

Dustin, I will have to ask Paul about his plane when I go out there to pick up my next set of parts. When I got to fly with him last June he only had 50 hours on the STI. I'm sure he has a lot to tell by now. Just now thinking about ordering a MT prop and all the parts needed for a constant speed one knob control prop. Seems price has gone up on these too. Not just on the Rotax. Wife is saying. When does it end..... I'm glad I can work lots of overtime I tell her. I wonder what the average weight of the Kitfox pilot is and how that relates to actual total weight of every one's plane. Mine will be a heavy plane but I weigh around 175. Wife should be about 125. There should be room to spare for long trips.
    Starfox

I think Paul and Kitfox went the MT prop route because its was the only option. Now air-master has an option. I have not flown either, but I think I would lean toward the Air-master because of the significant weight savings. Also it can't get much easier to use with a climb setting or cruise setting. Of course I was planning on putting a CS on after getting my plane up and flying but I have yet to see a need.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Total cost of airmaster prop and controls? How much weight saving can you see? Right now shipping from Germany for MT is through the roof. May look at other options but would like to be able to use the power of the 915 to its maximum
    Starfox

11400 is cost on the airmaster kit. Thats prop spinner and all you need. Put it in auto on the controller and it does everything for you. Also has manual controls if you so choose to use them. 2000 hour tbo. Mt is a very good prop. Kitfox says airmaster is a very good prop.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Harlan do you know the total weight difference? I think I had read almost 30 pound difference between the two including blades? Also I know if you ask nicely and you can get the airmaster with the beta option, reverse pitch, which would be handy if you ever go to floats or airmaster you can go to feather mode when the spiny thing stops spinning.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

May have to go this route. Double the cost for MT. Is there any other costs like adapters or balance master needed on this prop? How does this prop act when a failure happens? Seems there is always something hidden till you are hooked on the idea.
    Starfox

Also there are two versions of 915 engines. One for the constant speed prop and they came out with a second one for fixed pitch. Not sure of the difference?
    Starfox

Guess I found a statement about the 915 on a forum about the 915...

I have a Magni M16 Plus gyroplane with the 915 engine. Mine has a Helix (German) H50F three-blade prop, fixed pitch, 1.72m (68") diameter. Works great. Have 100 hours on this gyro now. The 915 is designed to work with a constant speed prop, has the oil pressure line and ECU software capability, but its certainly not mandatory. Magni has been putting fixed-pitch props for 915 engines on their gyroplanes for almost two years now.
    Starfox

Starfox, you also might look at DUC Hélices Propellers. They’re a French company with a US dealer in Sebring, Florida. I don’t know if they have anything specifically for the 915iS, but they do have a couple of variable pitch props (FlashBlack and SwirlBlack) that can be upgraded to constant speed. I haven’t been able to find it on their website, but they claim to have an all-electric model. The two I mentioned are hybrids: hydraulic adjustment under electric control. It looks like the CS FlashBlack weighs 18.6# ($10,846) as a 3-blade and 15# ($9,293) as a 2-blade.

The Experimental Aircraft Channel posted this video last week, which is what drew my attention to the company.

Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Harlan do you know the total weight difference? I think I had read almost 30 pound difference between the two including blades? Also I know if you ask nicely and you can get the airmaster with the beta option, reverse pitch, which would be handy if you ever go to floats or airmaster you can go to feather mode when the spiny thing stops spinning.

I do not. 26 lbs for the airmaster kit which is everything is all I know for sure. I'd guess 20ish more for mt governor and plumbing and all.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw