Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphics on the IP

Default Re: Graphics on the IP

There is an engraver that does panels,..switches,..fuel caps,..etc.
    in Mass ,..Dorsal ,.I'll get the info for you if you like.

Chase

Chase,
    That would be great, thanks!
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

my bust Dorsal ,..thought it was in Mass ,..it's in CT ,.check it out

http://www.engravers.net/aircraft/dataplate.htm

buy a brother p-touch. I used one on my RV. Once in awhile one will come off from hitting it with my finger when using a switch, but no problem, print a new one. I made all sorts of labels, to the ones on the wings for the fuel tanks. Very convenient.

I also remember when I was going through my final inspection, one of the labels didn't read right, no problem, I printed out a new one to the inspectors liking. Very convenient.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 01-04-2010 at 01:52 PM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

So here's what I did on my RV panel.

I took a sheet of clear Laser printer labels and simply printed up the labels as needed. The key trick is to border them with the black box. The box gives you a cut line and hides the fact that they are stick on labels from your eye. This only works on light colored panels. It's very cheap and easy to build out an entire panel with these, and they are replaceable if you decide to move something around later. Some people have sprayed clear coat over them once you print on them to make them more durable, but I never did. They seemed to last fine for the 5 years I had the plane.

Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

good idea with the laser printer . i had come across a smoking deal on-line for a dymo rhino label maker with intention of using shrink sleeve that it could print on to mark the wires . that idea quickly went up in smoke when i saw how much of the shrink sleeve i was using and how expensive it is. i finally opted for printing wire labels from the nylon label material and using clear shrink sleeve over them . anyway, for that labeler they have some cartridges with industrial strength glue that really stick good and works pretty good on the inst panel. they are so sticky that its a challenge to keep fingerprints off the back of the label when installing them on the instrument panel .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Cap 01 (Chuck), Instant print shop is the same as a graphics print shop (check the yellow pages for signs). They can print in clear , black, white, etc on about any color background shiny, matte or other. My panel is dark grey so I used black matte with white lettering.

Dick B

Powdercoat on a panel is around $50-$60. The printing is usually between $60 and $85 - depending on how much lettering. We can also do panel layout and waterjet cutting. We can usually turn around a panel in about a week. (Longer to do layout and cutting.)

We also do custom data plates with your info in several colors. Here's mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark; 01-05-2010 at 06:27 AM.
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

Here's a cheap option. I simply took my brother labeler and made some clear labels with a nice border around them. Cut just outside the black line and they almost disappear when you place them on a light colored panel.

Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Looks very nice, I ended up using the dry-transfer approach, (see "I finished my panel"), annoying but effective. The downside is you need to clear coat over them and they are fairly permanent (not like experimental builders ever change anything)
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive