Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear edge stiffeners ?

Default Re: Rear edge stiffeners ?

The scalloping was not intentionally done, but was a result of the thin aluminum trailing edge structures inability to restrain the shrinking forces of the fabric. Standing at the wingtip and sighting down the trailing edge, you could see a slight inset between each wing rib tip.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Harlan, are you speaking of the scalloped trailing edges of the Laker Leading Edge fiberglass?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Yes that's what I was referring . I misunderstood the previous poster.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Harlan - the opening (for the reinforcing aluminum tube) in my trailing edge was not large enough to manage the size of tubing the manual recommends. I bought a smaller size of 6061 T6 and used it.

Thanks for that heads up.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Mine might have been a little different than Delta Whisky, but I originally thought the tubing wouldn’t fit properly also. However, I found that with the proper “rolling” technique it would pop into place nice and tightly, although I still used Hysol to really secure it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I used the aluminum tubes bonded into the trailing edges in my 7SS. No "scalloping" when shrinking the PolyFiber. Slightly heavier than the carbon rods some use but less chance of galvanic corrosion issues than between the aluminum tailing edge pieces and the carbon fiber. Those near the coasts might consider this type of corrosion with regards to sea water and the reaction between these two materials.
    Not an "expert" on corrosion issues but read enough to decide to pass on the carbon fiber rods buried in the trailing edges with no way to inspect for corrosion issues.
    Not a quick or simple fix if corrosion does get a foothold in the trailing edges. Anyway, food for thought. I do love carbon fiber but where I can see and inspect it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Interesting. I did a search and found in a salt water environment the corrosion can be significant.

"When Eurocopter started to mix carbon composite and aluminum in their helicopters structure and these machines were flown in the North Sea for the oil rig... Within a few weeks they had holes (you read right: holes) starting to develop. If I recall correctly it was less than 2 months!
    If you do an Internet search you will find all of this well documented and some people involved with fixing these problems are still today very negative regarding aluminum and carbon.
    Nevertheless, it is possible to mix the two with some good design, engineering and care."

Food for thought...
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Anyone know the size of this tubing 3/8" OD? What about wall thickness?

Thanks.

Jerry,

The length can be measured between the ribs. The instruction, which are buried as a Note under the wing covering section say tubing wall thickness of 0.028" to 0.035". I used the 0.035" as the difference in weight is almost irrelevant (like eating 1/2 a bagel less for breakfast); and, once the tubes are bonded in, nobody is going to take them out and replace them after covering if they change their mind. No problem with bending with max shrink on the 0.035" wall thickness tubes.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN