Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear edge stiffeners ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Rear edge stiffeners ?

One other idea I saw on this forum was instead of the 3/8" tubes he used carbon fiber arrow shafts at midspan hysoled between the trailing edge and the rear spar; an interesting lightweight solution he claimed did the job. Maybe the member/s who posted this quite a while ago will chime in and verify.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    One other idea I saw on this forum was instead of the 3/8" tubes he used carbon fiber arrow shafts at midspan hysoled between the trailing edge and the rear spar; an interesting lightweight solution he claimed did the job. Maybe the member/s who posted this quite a while ago will chime in and verify.
    I used the carbon fiber arrows. You can buy used ones at you local archery shop for next to nothing.
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

I used the aluminum tubes bonded into the trailing edges in my 7SS. No "scalloping" when shrinking the PolyFiber. Slightly heavier than the carbon rods some use but less chance of galvanic corrosion issues than between the aluminum tailing edge pieces and the carbon fiber. Those near the coasts might consider this type of corrosion with regards to sea water and the reaction between these two materials.
    Not an "expert" on corrosion issues but read enough to decide to pass on the carbon fiber rods buried in the trailing edges with no way to inspect for corrosion issues.
    Not a quick or simple fix if corrosion does get a foothold in the trailing edges. Anyway, food for thought. I do love carbon fiber but where I can see and inspect it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Interesting. I did a search and found in a salt water environment the corrosion can be significant.

"When Eurocopter started to mix carbon composite and aluminum in their helicopters structure and these machines were flown in the North Sea for the oil rig... Within a few weeks they had holes (you read right: holes) starting to develop. If I recall correctly it was less than 2 months!
    If you do an Internet search you will find all of this well documented and some people involved with fixing these problems are still today very negative regarding aluminum and carbon.
    Nevertheless, it is possible to mix the two with some good design, engineering and care."

Food for thought...
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Thanks guys I will get some ordered. I am using oratex.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

I will play devils advocate.......unnecessary weight in my opinion but do what makes you most comfortable. Both of our planes we did not use them. We shrunk both wings to 450F and trailing edges are both straight. Wings are tight as a fiddle! When you shrink your wings you go longitudinally and start at the front of the wing so there is not much pulling on trailing edge verus pulling against the ribs. Of course we did a lot of things different than others on here like no rib stitching and minimal finishing tape. On another note this is what drove me crazy about kitfox. Where is the secret menu to order these "must" items? If something is required then include it with the kit!
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 06-13-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    I will play devils advocate.......unnecessary weight in my opinion but do what makes you most comfortable. Both of our planes we did not use them. We shrunk both wings to 450F and trailing edges are both straight. Wings are tight as a fiddle! When you shrink your wings you go longitudinally and start at the front of the wing so there is not much pulling on trailing edge verus pulling against the ribs. Of course we did a lot of things different than others on here like no rib stitching and minimal finishing tape. On another note this is what drove me crazy about kitfox. Where is the secret menu to order these "must" items? If something is required then include it with the kit!
    I had no idea about the little pipes, just ran across them looking at the builders logs. I thought oratex might pull harder since its a tougher material but I guess not if you've done two you should know.
    Last edited by Kitfox Pilot; 06-13-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Harlan,

I believe the instructions to include the aluminum tubes as an option was mentioned in my build manual (early S7); and, at the time I ordered them from aircraft spruce following the demise of skystar.

I see the addition as a way to increase the ruggedness of the trailing edge as well as dealing with the fabric shrinking stress as mentioned in the manual. I have seen way too many OOPS! happen in various hangars with visitors and I would rather see a dent in the perpetrator than the wing if at all possible.

Overall I think it is well worth the trouble but everyone's mileage certainly varies. Regarding weight - I just try to avoid eating too much stuff I shouldn't.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Anyone know the size of this tubing 3/8" OD? What about wall thickness?

Thanks.

I just looked at the assembly manual on the Kitfox website. Page 8 of the fabric covering section has a note about adding the stiffeners. Says they are optional.

Bob