Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 154HP from a 912ULS!!

Default 154HP from a 912ULS!!

I previously posted a thread asking about changing out a 912ULS to a 915is in a 7SS - got some valuable insight but now I'm told to take the existing 912ULS and have Edge Performance rework the engine to an EP912STi developing 154hp. Here is the internet site:

https://shop.edgeperformance.no/en/h...otax-912-.html

Having been around Rotax engines for more than 30 years, I know how aftermarket tinkering can end up with a rod through the side of the engine or other problems. It's one thing to do this to to a snowmobile engine, it's another thing on an aircraft.

Question is - how safe etc. are these engines and does anyone have one? Any comments are appreciated.

Default 154HP from a 912ULS!!

Hi Bob!

We just made a video series about our 165hp Edge Performance engine conversion from a 914 Turbo.

We address all the reliability related questions within the videos as well as how they are built (part 2). And compare it to the Rotax 915is.

But a short answer here would be that more than 250 such engines have been built since 2006 and none has failed. Some has more than 1200-1500 hours. And the conversion has been extensively tested to well above 200hp. So they have a perfectly good track record!

Here's a link to the 1st video:
    https://youtu.be/f0n0Z0YrRH0

Default Re: 154HP from a 912ULS!!

There are multiple kitfox builds that have used the edge sti engine and many more that have used the big bore and EFI kits.

Getting one from Mike, the edge performance dealer in Kansas.
    Great customer service and the eurofox a couple hangers down from mine is a great example of the nice work from them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by About2Stall View Post
    Hi Bob!

We just made a video series about our 165hp Edge Performance engine conversion from a 914 Turbo.

We address all the reliability related questions within the videos as well as how they are built (part 2). And compare it to the Rotax 915is.

But a short answer here would be that more than 250 such engines have been built since 2006 and none has failed. Some has more than 1200-1500 hours. And the conversion has been extensively tested to well above 200hp. So they have a perfectly good track record!

Here's a link to the 1st video:
    https://youtu.be/f0n0Z0YrRH0
    Thanks for the help and in depth reviews - I've watched your videos and subscribed.
    Cheers
    Bob

Thanks Bob!

Glad we could be of help.