Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox Model 6 Unfinished Project

Default Kitfox Model 6 Unfinished Project

Greetings all, long time listener, first time caller. I am considering the Kitfox 6 project currently for sale on Barnstormers. I received the below information from the seller and was hoping for some more educated opinions on whether it is worth pursuing. I am still educating myself and getting up to speed on inheriting and finishing someone else's kit. I understand that ultimately I have to make the decision whether to pursue this or not, I am just hoping for some insight or advice. Thank you very much in advance.

From seller: "I purchased the kit from the original owner in 2017 and he purchased it from Skystar (Kitfox) in Nov of 2000. I have a bill of sale paper trail back to Skystar. What you see in the pictures was all completed by the original owner. I'm embarrassed to say that in 3 years I haven't gotten to it, so it's time to let it go. The kit has always been in enclosed storage in dry climates so there is no rust or corrosion. What's Not Included - There is no usable plexiglass, no firewall forward, no upholstery (but the fiberglass seat frame is there), the build log that I got from the original builder does not contain entries for all of his work, but I'm told that EAA or FAA can approve a process for you to proceed. Aside from the few instruments that I mention below, there is no avionics.

What's Included - In addition to what you can see in the pictures, or can't see well, the following items will be included: A cargo bag, some used instruments, some new engine gauges, a new Yaesu radio, 2 new Flightcom headsets, a new Flightcom intercom, a new push to talk switch, a new Dual GPS receiver, strobe and red/green lights, 2 fiberglass gas tanks are installed in the wings, 2 used seat belts, and a few sheet metal parts. Difficult to see in the pictures are 2 multi drawer cases with many of the fasteners needed to complete the project."

Page 1 (quality=90)_resized_2.jpg20200610_110204_resized_2.jpg20200610_110146_resized_2.jpg20200610_111623_resized_2.jpg20200610_111546_resized_2.jpg20200610_111741_resized_2.jpg20200610_111757_resized_2.jpg20200610_111819_resized_2.jpg20200610_111912_resized_2.jpgPage 7 (quality=90)_resized_2.jpgPage 6 (quality=90)_resized_2.jpgPage 5 (quality=90)_resized_2.jpgPage 4 (quality=90)_resized_2.jpgPage 3 (quality=90)_resized_2.jpgPage 2 (quality=90)_resized_2.jpgPage 8 (quality=90)_resized_2.jpg20200603_165215_resized_3.jpg

Default Re: Kitfox Model 6 Unfinished Project

Sounds like a great deal - if - there is enough paperwork (builders log, etc) to get the airworthiness certificate.

Looks like a good deal. I am actually surprised that it is still for sale.

I bought an unfinished KF5 kit. Was not in fabric yet and missing parts like landing gear, brakes, wheels, flaperons, windshield, etc, but has the firewall forward and a brand new 912. This one is way more complete fuselage wise. Adding a FFWD is a fixed cost that you can budget for. Even if you decide to rip the fabric off to inspect, it's still a good deal.

I will say, after having large things shipped from Kitfox and buying from others around the country as I gather parts.....Don't underestimate shipping. It really adds up and definitely needs to be considered when you're trying to figure out how much a project will cost. My new windshield and bubble doors cost me $192 in shipping just last week.

Quote Originally Posted by CoClimber View Post
    Sounds like a great deal - if - there is enough paperwork (builders log, etc) to get the airworthiness certificate.
    So I asked about the previous builder logs and asked how much was missing, I received: “Significant amount missing. He only documented 130 hours with many tasks missing.”

I’ll need to investigate what it takes for that airworthiness certificate in a situation like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    Even if you decide to rip the fabric off to inspect, it's still a good deal.

I will say, after having large things shipped from Kitfox and buying from others around the country as I gather parts.....Don't underestimate shipping.
    Great points, thank you for your advice. I thought about removing fabric to inspect as well. And high shipping costs does make sense for a build like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xwing View Post
    So I asked about the previous builder logs and asked how much was missing, I received: “Significant amount missing. He only documented 130 hours with many tasks missing.”

I’ll need to investigate what it takes for that airworthiness certificate in a situation like this.
    I doubt very much that the lost building logs would be an issue. The Kitfox is accepted by the FAA as being a 51% or greater homebuilt aircraft. All you need to do really is satisfy the DAR who inspects the airplane. He is the one who will issue the airworthyness certificate. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I doubt very much that the lost building logs would be an issue. The Kitfox is accepted by the FAA as being a 51% or greater homebuilt aircraft. All you need to do really is satisfy the DAR who inspects the airplane. He is the one who will issue the airworthyness certificate. JImChuk
    I went through three DARs concerning this and the final solution was to "rekit" the airplane to where I can demonstrate that I built 51% of it. The good news is that I made a number of improvements in the process and that I should be eligible for a repairman certificate.

The 51% rule means that 51% needs to be built by people other than the factory. It doesn't matter who, or how many people do the build. The kit is already approved by the FAA. Documenting the build and satisfying your DAR is a whole different subject.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

If any of you are considering buying this project please PM me. I did a pre-buy inspection on it last year for another person who let it go. I still have the pictures that I took and can give you more information. Let's just say buyer beware.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Looks like the ad was taken down from Barnstormers.