Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox Model III Project

Default Kitfox Model III Project

Hi Guys,

New to the form and Kitfox. I am looking at an unfinished kitfox 3 with a Mosler Engine 82. Is this a good motor for this? Looking through the form noticed its not used much. Any pointers before I pull the trigger would be great.

Thanks Phil

Default Re: Kitfox Model III Project

Quote Originally Posted by Phil N View Post
    Hi Guys,

New to the form and Kitfox. I am looking at an unfinished kitfox 3 with a Mosler Engine 82. Is this a good motor for this? Looking through the form noticed its not used much. Any pointers before I pull the trigger would be great.

Thanks Phil
    The mosler engine is a VW based engine. It isn't the greatest match but can work there are some youtube videos of VW powered Kitfoxes. Just search for "VW Kitfox" on youtube and there are videos that will give you an idea of how they could perform. There is also a person on the facebook kitfox group that has a VW powered kitfox. Personally, I fly a VW powered Sonerai and the VW engine is fine if matched to the airplane. From what I have seen though it may be a bit marginal for the kitfox but you could possibly get in contact with someone who has one installed to find out better info. Some will depend on where you live and what you intend to do. If you are at lower elevations and don't plan off-airport excursions then the VW may be just fine. It would not if you want to fly from mountain top plateaus at high elevation with short runways.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)