Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swap 912ULS for 915IS on Kitfox 7SS

Default Swap 912ULS for 915IS on Kitfox 7SS

How difficult is it and what's involved in replacing a 912ULS to a 915IS in a 7SS. Any idea of the costs? The 912ULS has about 50 hours on it - any idea what price I could sell it for?
    Thx

Default Re: Swap 912ULS for 915IS on Kitfox 7SS

Value of the ULS depends on how old it is, how long was it sitting. You could price out a new one and compare. If it is a few years old and has not been sitting may be worth 50-75% of new to someone. The lack of warranty would be a factor to some also, along with what the books look like for it.

Swapping to an iS would be a little bit of work. Different setup with the iS parts - ECU, fuel, fuse box. I think not terribly hard but not a direct bolt in. You could search some builds on here that have a 912iS, similar in terms of ECU, fuse box, etc. Then look at yours and compare.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the reason to consider switching? This can be replied to my message if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Okent View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what is the reason to consider switching? This can be replied to my message if you'd like.
    All/most of my flying is in the Rocky Mountains with hot summers and peaks up to 12,000 feet and a turbo is a must in my opinion.

I believe that is a good move.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Understood. My buddy and I are building an S7. We are flat landers but value extra power to get airborne quicker so we are planning on the 915.

Part of the price of admission with a 915 swap is the prop. The MT prop is about $18,000.

Quote Originally Posted by robertwidmer View Post
    All/most of my flying is in the Rocky Mountains with hot summers and peaks up to 12,000 feet and a turbo is a must in my opinion.
    Having more horsepower than you need (a subjective term for sure) is always nice, no question about that. However, just so that people don't get the wrong idea about a 912 UL or ULS (80 or 100 HP) in a Kitfox, quite a few of us in Colorado have those engines. My home field, where there are at least 4 of us, is at an elevation of about 5700' msl. The Rocky Mountains run right through our state, and according to the Colorado Geological Survey, we have 58 mountains over 14,000 feet. It also can get quite hot in the summer... I suspect a bit warmer than it does in Canada. Anyway, we regularly travel in and over the mountains. An 80 hp Mod. IV or a 100 hp S7 is very capable of safely flying here without a turbo. My friend Stan has landed at every public airport (and many others) in the state with his 80 hp Mod. IV Speedster. Just sayin'.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Only have 160 kitfox hours, but when the DA is over 7000 and you are going over the pass out of Bozeman with 2 some positive manifold pressure would be a good thing.

We are planning on the Airmaster prop. Simple and easy to operate and takes advantage of the extra horsepower.