Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Disaster in the Hanger

Default Disaster in the Hanger

Went to start the covering process of the wings only to find out the two part Polyurethane which is starting to look more like clear Acylric Enamel the manufacture assured me was compatible with Poly-tone was not. Fortunately I did a test spot for fifteen minutes with the Polybrush only to find it removed the clear-coat polyurethane and primer right down to the metal spar. This plane is being built for seaplane operations so a lot of extra effort has been made to prevent corrosion. Now I will have to go back and re-spray everything including the fuselage with two part clear-coat Epoxy. Lesson learned, don't stray away from conventional methods and if you do be sure to test first. WHAT A MAJOR SETBACK. 2010 is starting a little negative, must be a great ending coming up...

Default Re: Disaster in the Hanger

Bummer,At least you caught it now ,I believe Poly Tone is MEK based.What ever you use would have to be able to withstand it until it dries.Thats some harsh stuff,thats why I went with Stewart Systems water bourne products,you can put it over just about anything and it has a nice finish. Good Luck Randy

Default Re: Disaster in the Hanger

wonder what the stewarts system uses to stick down the fabric ? maybe it wont lift the polyurathane ? thats an interesting system , if i were covering a plane , i would look into it seriously
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa