Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BRS Install photos in Model 3?

Default Re: BRS Install photos in Model 3?

the last BRS I worked with which was a 750 .,, I'm thinking it was 14 lbs,..so weighing that much you want it as close to the CG mark as possible,..

As for using BRS systems,..personally I can't see the use unless your planning on doing some serious aerobatic maneuvers that far exceed the G rating for the plane,..and remembering that listed G load's are not max ratings,..max ratings are ussually 1/2 again the listed G rating,..that's a 9 G ultimate for a sustained 6 G rated aircraft .. gross at 1200 =7200lbs sustained or 10800lb ultimate,.. I don't think the kitfox can go fast enough with any normally asperated engine on it to reach a 9 G ultimate load unless your over loading it to begin with,..just my personal feelings of using a BRS,..
    Kitfox's are built way to strong to ever need a BRS,..as long as your not over loading it in the first place,..
    but like I said ,..that's my personal feelings concerning the issue

Chase

Default Re: BRS Install photos in Model 3?

if you are planning on installing a BRS ,..just for your own satisfaction ,.which is perfectly understandable,..put the plane thru a scenario of a structural failure,.. that would justify using a BRS,..say a wing folds up,.(chances are it won't fold back ..wings inherently want to go forward unless a fuselage to wing connect point ..say the front one failed and let the wing go in a vertical atitude ). so a strut,.or strut point failure,.it might flop once or twice ,..but it will be severed from the aircraft,..since the strongest part of the wing has already failed ..the strut,..6061 T-6 (spar material ) it is strong stuff too ..but your connect points at the fuselage are the weakest,..so asta manyana wing in case of strut failure,..now ..your reaction time ..,..shock to your system is going to put thing's in slow motion ..garauntee it,..unless your use to a daily dose of stress to this magnitude,..
    plane now has one wing ,.and it's spiraling towards the abyss,..I say abyss because I got my eye's closed ..want it to be a surprise when I stop suddenly
    Seriously now ..back to the point ..spiraling thru the air,..tell me which position the BRS is mounted in is going to work best in this scenario,.. the thing that will matter is that the sling and chords for the chute have the cleanest escape route of the plane,..no jagged surfaces that could damage the chute, chords,..sling,..etc that would be, to have the canister/rocket mounted as close to the exit surface that is chosen for depart zone as possible,..
    Now you still have the chance of the remaining wing getting tangled up in the lead line to the chute as the plane is still spiraling until the canopy is opened,..but hopefully forward speed will keep it the tangling towards the tail if it wraps up,..to ensure this ..mounting the chute as far away from the remaining wing as possible would be my first choice.
    I say this because in a scenario like the above,..to get as much of the BRS system out of the plane to enable full canopy deployment is the goal for it to be effective,..whether the plane touches down on it's gear..nose ..or back is hit or miss, depending on the structural failure that took place,..
    and I say structural failure because that is the only time I would deploy a BRS if I had one installed,..

sorry didn't mean to make a book of it,or scare anyone..just trying to point out that once Murphy has entered the picture,..you've got to have already out thinked him ,..way before he knocks on the door.
    hence the reason why some justify using a BRS,..just don't let it be a part of the problem ..that's all

Chase