Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BRS Install photos in Model 3?

Default BRS Install photos in Model 3?

Curious what it takes to install in a Model 3? Anyone have photos or details, or should I get this from the BRS manufacturer? Does it launch
    out the turtledeck? I read somewhere about someone with one
    that fires DOWN? How does that work, I am confused on this....

If mounting info is online anywhere and someone can point me to a link
    that would be great! I've browsed the web and cant find any Model3's.
    A model 4 photo would be good if that's around I suppose.

I'm just trying to plan ahead and get an idea of how one installs before purchasing.

Thanks,
    -Wild

Default Re: BRS Install photos in Model 3?

I've posted before about the mounting in my IV-1200. It does in fact fire down.

The leads wrap around under the fabric on the right side of the fuselage to the four corners of the two carry through tubes.

This means, that if fired, the chute will go through the fabric in the belly, the leads will tear the fabric around the right side behind the wing, the turtle deck and skylight will be torn off as the chute inflates above the plane.

Yeah, it's quite a destructive action...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

That all sounds fine on an installation from new, but what about a retro install where I don't want to recover or tape under the lines? Do they have any options for installing under the turtledeck and mount from the inside with no major reskinning of the plane?

Thanks,
    -Brendan

you can tape over the lines on the outside of the covering,..but you still have to put a hole somewhere to connect the lead lines to the chute,..

Chase

So do ALL Chute installations have the chute cables going to the outside
    of the aircraft? I can see how that would provide a better 'flat' landing, but is there no installs that come straight on the turtledeck with all INTERIOR cabling?

the idea is the less restriction for the cables and chute to to deploy ..the better ,..they make soft packs as well as canisters , although I have never seen a soft pack mounted on the exterior of a kitfox,.i suppose a soft pack could be mounted under the turtle deck but then ,.how do you remove the turtle deck to deploy the soft pack in flight?

Chase

I had always assumed they could fire THROUGH the turtledeck, but you know what they say about ASSuming I know nothing of these BRS chutes except ones I've seen on trikes. I have visions of buying one that I can move to another Kitfox when I upgrade someday, trying to sort out if that's a reality.

We have installed units facing up through the turtle deck (single piece lexan - not the aluminum frames). The lines run between the skylight and the headrack so the destruction is all above your head. A way to insure the turtle deck breaks away is to scribe the lexan at the attach points and where the rocket will blow through.

I want to do a test fire. I have a fuselage with skylight and turtle deck but a rocket costs $600. Expensive test. If I do get a hold of one, we'll video and post it.
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

Mark this sounds perfect - completely interior cabling right? Do you have photos of the install and the scoring you're recommending??? Is this a 'standard installation' recommended by Fitfox/BRS or your own solution?

Thanks! Forgive my ignorance - is there only one BRS manufacturer?

The ballistic chute arena has become somewhat complicated.

For an EXTENSIVE technical discussion of BRS chutes in a Kitfox IV, the other forum has a very long thread and one of the writers attached the three important BRS drawings for Kitfox Model III's and IV's as PDF's.

The BRS drawing numbers for Model III's and IV's are 3575-A, 3575-B, and 3575-C although the writer gave the PDF's different names than that.
    There is also a separate detail drawing for fabricating frame bands that is BRS drawing number 1175. BRS can supply it.

(For Kitfox V's (and later????), the drawings are 3585-A, 3585-B, and 3585-C, also available from BRS.)

The long thread is here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopi...&highlight=brs

However the big complications are in the manufacturing and distribution end. There are (at least) three players out there but two are somewhat new to the USA scene...

1) BRS, which is a trademark of Ballistic Recovery Systems in Minnesota, has sold many ballistic chutes to Kitfoxers over the years but of late has been having a very difficult time delivering the product. My order for a 1350 lb. capacity model for my Model IV went unfilled for 13 weeks so we finally canceled in December (2009). BRS was cooperative in refunding our 100% up-front deposit.

2) Magnum Parachutes in Melbourne, Florida is the US distributor for a Czech ballistic chute that has apparently been around for some time in Europe.

3) Galaxy High Technology is also a Czech-based supplier of ballistic chutes and digs into chute performance in a major way on their website. Their US distributor is Sport Flying Shop in Los Angeles, which aggressively markets product availability but I haven't talked with them yet.

I don't know anything about the two Czech manufacturers - are they competitors, or is it a re-branding deal???? Maybe someone on the forum can chime in.

At this point, I'm going with no chute and staying away from hostile territory, in other words, it'll be IFR (I Follow Roads) for the near future. At least until the dust settles on the chute picture. It's likely that all the suppliers are suffering from the GA industry implosion and that, of course, directly affects availability and distribution.
    One parallel safety device I've installed is a ZAON Portable Collision Avoidance System (PCAS) to help avoid mid-air collisions, which is one event where there is no substitute for a chute.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Rich Cunningham
    Last edited by rcsfca; 01-03-2010 at 07:12 PM.