Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wheel size(s) for each factory tire option? (S7)

Default Wheel size(s) for each factory tire option? (S7)

Hi again. I've got another question about the aircraft that nobody else seemed to be able to answer. How big are the wheels on a Kitfox S7, both main and tail, and do they get a higher diameter or larger width as larger tires are added? Looking around at what common tire sizes are, it looks like most of them use the same 6" wheel but with a larger distance between the flanges, but then when I examine actual tire buying guides they don't seem to say anything about wheel width, just diameter. Trying to figure out how weird the mounting system on my replica is going to need to be if certain tires need wider wheels and thus a different mounting position.

Default Re: Wheel size(s) for each factory tire option? (S7)

As far as I know the s7 comes with 6 inch rims . I asked about 8 inch but was told they come with 6''. You can fit 12'' to 29'' on the 6 inch wheels I believe.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

All on the same wheel width and/or axles as well? I knew the 6" diameter. Also, any idea about the tail wheel?

The main wheel rim is the same. It is a 6" diameter and the width stays the same. You can put any 6" tire on the rims from a 6.00x6 (about 16" diameter) to 29" diameter tires on there. I am using the Desser 8.50x6 smoothie tire which is a 22" diameter.

Most KF owners have a tailwheel that use the 2.80/2.50-4 tire. There are several tailwheel brands and models that have this size rim (4"). Some have a wider rim which uses a wider tire. I have a Scott 3200 tail wheel, which is now the ABI-3200.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    The main wheel rim is the same. It is a 6" diameter and the width stays the same. You can put any 6" tire on the rims from a 6.00x6 (about 16" diameter) to 29" diameter tires on there. I am using the Desser 8.50x6 smoothie tire which is a 22" diameter.

Most KF owners have a tailwheel that use the 2.80/2.50-4 tire. There are several tailwheel brands and models that have this size rim (4"). Some have a wider rim which uses a wider tire. I have a Scott 3200 tail wheel, which is now the ABI-3200.
    Thank you. That's going to be really helpful. I'll need to figure out how I'm going to do the brakes, though, unless I just skip the detail since it won't be noticed...