Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: maule tailwheel question

Default maule tailwheel question

i have a maule tailwheel installed on a model Iv 1050 and not real happy with the way its working . unable to get it unlocked most of the time either direction and when it does unlock it wont lock back up . i am using two leafs of a piper 1 1/4" tailwheel spring . the kingpin isnt exactly vertical with the top a few degrees aft of the bottom . wondering if anyone else has any trouble ? it works good as long as it remains locked but not very handy for getting around in tight spots or narrow runways . i have even considered replacing it with an iron designs 8" tailwheel assy .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul

Default Re: maule tailwheel question

To your problem, look at and inspect the locking cam and pin for wear and lubrication. It may be sticking and not operating properly.

---

I'm not real happy with my Maul either, for the opposite reason. It unlocks too easy, so I have had to removed the unlocking cam. Now it stays locked which really hampers the ground maneuverability of the plane.

I think my problem is due to the rudder stops being too short allowing the rudder to mover too far, unlocking the tail wheel.

A side problem with the permanently locked setup is that if the tailwheel skids due to tight maneuvering, the spring chains can come unhooked, I have the extension springs with hooks on the ends.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Chuck, this short video took the mystery out of tail wheel set up for me. Its not a maule but the principle is the same. My maule king pin angle is as you describe yours and as it should be (top a few degrees aft of the bottom) and the steering chains have a hair of slack. To unlock it I need to be moving slowly, push full rudder pedal then stab that brake when the pedal reaches full deflection.

http://www.akbushwheel.com/TailwheelTechnicalInfo.html

Tom Jones
    Classic 4

I have a solid Maule wheel on my Mk 4 and recently changed the tail spring because it was a bit saggy and the tailwheel pivot was angling top-fore and bottom-aft.

The new spring allows the tailwheel to be correctly configured as described above but I have noticed that the tailwheel is less inclined to snap out anymore, especially in one particular direction.

I have decided to leave it as it is as I know I can do sharp right turns but only shallow left ones and have decided to live with it!

thanks for the input . i spent the afternoon at the hangar tinkering with the tailwheel . by the way , great video about rigging the springs . the way mine is set up with tension springs the rudder will not get the tailwheel anywhere near unlock when its at the rudder stops . if i rig the springs like the video the springs are way too tight to even hook up . i think the next thing ill try is installing compression springs and then try rigging like in the video . spruce has the springs so until i can get those ill try installing spacer under the cam for the tailwheel unlock and see if i can get unlock closer to full rudder travel that way . weather was pretty crappy today so didnt get out for any taxi tests . also the field is really soft from all the rain so i dont want to tear up any sod or the airport vigilanties will hunt me down
    thanks again for the help
    chuck

I don't like my maule much either. I've used the matco but the chains run down at a pretty big angle.

The tailspring is 1.75" wide and flat so not sure about how to make it work with our narrow 3-leaf spring. Some kind of spacer...

I have the experimental tail wheel and mine does the same thing. What I do is dis. the mech. clean real good and than grease it with black molly grease. Works good for a while than it acts up again. It has the grease zert, but that doesn't work, have to clean it and grease it.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

when i had it jacked up the other day , i did shoot some moly grease in it but havent had it out to try it . as far as i can tell , it was a new tailwheel assy and never has operated correctly . correctly as compared with the scott on a 170b and 180 . althou i dont expect the maule on the kitfox to be the same due to the shorter fuselage and less affective brakes . the kitfox speedster whos hangar im in has 400hrs on it and never has had trouble with the maule on it . still could be some geometry thing with the j-3 spring and the length of the rudder horns , ill see what i can do with installing compression springs ?
    thanks
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I'll say it again, on my tail wheel, I had to clean it out real good and replace the grease with a light grease, for me it was the black molly grease. When I had the thicker grease and cold temps, the tail wheel would not work right. Even with the molly grease I will have problems with it locking or unlocking. That's when I know it's time to clean er out and regrease. I usually have to do this twice a year. I just did it again because I landed and ended up 90 to the runway. I thought it was the wind, but I didn't take any chances, I tore down the tail wheel and did er up. It's quit a ride when the tail wheel does not lock up. Oh and I do massive slips, that's why my tail wheel can have problems locking up straight on landing.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Here's another good article on getting a Maule TW correct, as others I did not care for the Maule TW but that's what is on my Champ and I cussed it untill a came across these instructions and after following them the TW works perfectly, but the Maule is not the best machined device and thus requires more attention/maintenance \. Originally my Kitfox had a Matco 6" and it was not that good either would have to remove it and clean & lube it every 80 / 90 hrs so I installed a Lang D501 and it has worked flawlessly for many yrs and hrs, they are well designed and built tailwheels.
    http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/Maule_Tailwheel.pdf

One of the biggest problems with the Maule TW is the king pin bushing if it is worn / elongated the TW will not work right and the machining if the king pin area of the fork is very poor and tends to wear the bushing.
    Last edited by Mnflyer; 01-06-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ